Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

where to buy barrels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

where to buy barrels...

My last three rifles i had built wear shilen barrels. I bought them from a shilen distributor "the barrelman". And his prices were way cheaper than anybodies that i could find. But i've been thinking about building a 6.5x284 and wanted to try a different barrel company. And was wondering where you buy your barrels and get the best price?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: where to buy barrels...

Bugholes.com I bought a barrel from here good to deal with.
Third Generation shooters supply
Bruno shooters supply

Just to name 3
Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem700 View Post
My last three rifles i had built wear shilen barrels. I bought them from a shilen distributor "the barrelman". And his prices were way cheaper than anybodies that i could find. But i've been thinking about building a 6.5x284 and wanted to try a different barrel company. And was wondering where you buy your barrels and get the best price?
When I am in a hurry I try Brownells or Midway because if they have it you will get it in
4 or 5 days.

If I have time to schedule the barrel I like to order it from the manufacture of choice.

In ether case I only use there top of the line barrel to avoid any problems. (You pay a little
more, But after spending the money for a custom rifle there is no reason to take a chance
on a "so so" barrel.

Read as much as you can on the acceptance tolerance of each barrel and decide base on that
not cost.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
When I am in a hurry I try Brownells or Midway because if they have it you will get it in
4 or 5 days.

If I have time to schedule the barrel I like to order it from the manufacture of choice.

In ether case I only use there top of the line barrel to avoid any problems. (You pay a little
more, But after spending the money for a custom rifle there is no reason to take a chance
on a "so so" barrel.

Read as much as you can on the acceptance tolerance of each barrel and decide base on that
not cost.

J E CUSTOM
But there is no, this barrel (i.e...hart) is better than the rest? It's more of, one may not lose accuracy as soon as others?

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson
Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
But there is no, this barrel (i.e...hart) is better than the rest? It's more of, one may not lose accuracy as soon as others?

I hate to pick 1 best barrel, But being as you ask I have a quality, performance,accuracy,
breakin and longest lasting list In the order of what "I" like and I am sure others list
of favorites will vary but here goes.

1- Lilja
2- Kriger
3- Hart
4- Shillen
5- Brux

With The others not listed, I have had mixed results and there are a few I will not use at all !!!
And I will not name them because others may have had good luck with them.

My preference is Stainless all though sometimes I do use Chrome Molly per request or for special
needs.

Stainless seems to last much longer than Chrome Molly.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 PM
GNERGY

Brunos always has Krieger barrels in stock, and if he doesn't have what you are looking for, he will probably have it in a couple days. I think he has some kind of revolving order with them.
Tarey
Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
When one speaks of items that are in great demand, like custom barrels are,,,,,,,, where you "get the best price" shouldn't even be a consideration! Call in and order from your barrel maker of choice, order the contour and twist you want, pay retail, and wait!