Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

When to stop cleaning???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Gold Member

Re: When to stop cleaning???

Jeff

Notwithstanding your cleaning adventures with the rifle, how does she shoot?

For what its worth, I've no longer use Shooters Choice or Butches Bore shine (better than Shooters Choice - in my opinion). I now use KG-1 for powder fouling and KG-12 for copper. Both are safe to leave in a barrel but still provides the fastest powder and/or copper removal of anything that I've tried. KG 1 gets it clean, and KG-12 gets the copper out and I mean fast.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffVN View Post
Jeff

Notwithstanding your cleaning adventures with the rifle, how does she shoot?

For what its worth, I've no longer use Shooters Choice or Butches Bore shine (better than Shooters Choice - in my opinion). I now use KG-1 for powder fouling and KG-12 for copper. Both are safe to leave in a barrel but still provides the fastest powder and/or copper removal of anything that I've tried. KG 1 gets it clean, and KG-12 gets the copper out and I mean fast.

Jeff

Do you have a borescope?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

JeffVN, The rifle is coming around. It is broken in now (Thanks God!!) and although we have only shot 100 yards we can easily keep them in a ragged hole. The next trip we will stretch her legs. The load we are setteling in on is WW brass, 215 Fed GM, 210 Berger on top of 77 gr of H-1000. Got the ES down in the teens and hope to better it a bit with the formed brass. Velocity is just over 2900.

Boss Hoss, I got the butches, sweets 7.62 and Iosso. Followed the instructions you posted with the exception of I have Dewy bore guides for each cal that fit good, and I feel I am able to keep them straight.

Here are my results. The pre-clean, bore lube, bolt lube, and brake in shooting sequence worked like a charm! The barrel came right in and is very easy to clean now. The last session 15 shots were fired and we returned home. I then used the Sweets, Butches, and IOSSO and followed the instructions. After the process was completed completely. I went back in with the slip 2000 followed by BoreTech. The Boretech got more copper out. Not a ton but a noticable ammount on the patches. I use a nickel coated jag so I am sure it was left in the bore. This cleaned out quick with about 6 or 8 patches and two soaking sessions of 4 to 5 minutes. The final soak produced zero sign of copper.

Thanks for everyones help. I learned a break in process that works for me and I now can get a patch coming out clean enough to suit me.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 01-08-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff--Glad it worked! Did the same thing last weekend breaking in my new Chuck Grace 300 H&H and working on Round 4 of Load development for my 6.5 WSM. The Iosso really does help with the break in doesn’t it??? Cut my break in time down to 5 shots lol!!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Boss Hoss, Both my son and I were amazed. We were cleaning every shot with Montana Xtreme 50 bg and it was taking 1/2 hr each shot. After just the first session on the break in you suggested we noticed a huge reduction of copper. Now after 15 or more shots we can run the 3 or 4 patches of IOSSO or slip 2000 through it, followed by wet patches of BoreTech Eliminator and a 4 minute soak then a few wet patches and it is clean. We then dry patch and one with a bit of oil and 2 dry ones.

This is cool, for the first time in my life I have seen what other have told me and I didn't buy it. After cleaning, oiling and dry patching fowling shots shoot in the same place. At least at 100 yds. Clean barrel, 4 or 5 shot groups ragged hole.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Boss Hoss, Both my son and I were amazed. We were cleaning every shot with Montana Xtreme 50 bg and it was taking 1/2 hr each shot. After just the first session on the break in you suggested we noticed a huge reduction of copper. Now after 15 or more shots we can run the 3 or 4 patches of IOSSO or slip 2000 through it, followed by wet patches of BoreTech Eliminator and a 4 minute soak then a few wet patches and it is clean. We then dry patch and one with a bit of oil and 2 dry ones.

This is cool, for the first time in my life I have seen what other have told me and I didn't buy it. After cleaning, oiling and dry patching fowling shots shoot in the same place. At least at 100 yds. Clean barrel, 4 or 5 shot groups ragged hole.

Thanks, Jeff
Jeff--been doing it that way for years! Cleaning is an emotional subject but always remember a Clean Barrel Is A Happy Barrel! Also, the bore scope will never lie to you!! I have been at matches and watched guys send patches and brushes down the tube for an hour or more getting more frustrated all of the time because they still see copper on the patch or the lands at the muzzle. Have more than once offered my bore scope and seen a jaw hit the ground when they saw the inside of the carbon crusted tube lol!!!

Earlier this year at a match it took 150 strokes with the Iosso to get all of the carbon out of this one fellows tube!!!!! When we finished for the day and I was packing up to drive back to Texas he came over, shook my hand, and thanked me for helping him get his tube clean.