Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Whats the Torque spec on 6-48 base screws???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 03:11 PM

Re: Whats the Torque spec on 6-48 base screws???

J E Custom thanks for the tip,Rewording my search made a diff.I appreciate youalls input,I just started shooting about 1 year ago.Trying to learn all this and do it right.

Rob

This from Brownell's,
makes since if theres diff grades of the screws/fasteners.I would assume that most are equivalent to the grade 8,machine screw?
GunTech : Torque Specifications for Gunsmiths - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

Quote:

We recently obtained some ring and base screw specs from Leupold: base screws 14 in/lbs, ring screws, 15-17 in/lbs, and 45 in/lbs on the windage screw, 65 in/lbs on the cross bolt for the Mk IV ring. Previously, they told us that base screws with 6 or more threads of engagement would require 22 in/lbs, 6 or less 12 in/lbs.

For the gunsmith a torque specification is more of a guideline than a rule.

Let’s consider the 15-17 in/lb specification offered by Leupold for their ring. Currently they’re using 8 x 40 torx head screws, applying 15-17 in/lbs would not cause the fastener to stretch and impart preload to the joint; but it will likely hold the scope tight enough to keep it from slipping and not damage the tube. However, if the front and/or rear ring was made out of spec, or if the height of the scope bases do not concur, or you are using an off brand scope, you may need to impart more torque to the ring screws to get them to hold the scope properly.

There are plenty of standardization organizations out there (ANSI, ISO, ASTM, and SAE) to help. We don’t currently have membership and are unable to offer any of their information, but it is generally the fastener manufacturer who will be able to tell you what certification their product has. For large automotive fasteners this is rarely a problem, the small screws gunsmiths see are rarely designated like this. Generally, the screws contained within our screw kits are made of 1038 steel and match SAE grade 8 specifications; and I recommend the traditional German Torque Specification: Gooduntight!
here's Wheelers recommendation
that might be bacause the ajustments are only in 10inch steps?
30 inch-lbs

Wheeler® Engineering FAT Wrench™ (FAQ/Tips)

just info/Seekins
http://www.teamblaster.net/reviews/S...RingsBases.pdf