Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

What lathe to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Re: What lathe to buy

Hello, I purchased my lathe from Production Tool Supply www.pts-tools.com MSC also sold Nardini as did other tool supply outfits. Don't know if they still sell them or not. They really do seem to be well made. They are made in Brazil. Have had mine forabout 10 years, think it was about 12k dollars. Alot of money for someone like myself- just for hobby-but I do not regret it. MSC sells a 15-50 that is a Colchester copy called Vectrax I believe. Alvin Davidson (made many benchrest products-many of Sinclairs products) told me his favorite machine was his colchester 15-50 and chambered through headstock-even with 30" barrels wouldnt stick out back of spindle so he cut bushing to slide over barrel and in spindle with set screw out of alum or delrin. that is method I use. If you want to talk to someone very knowledgeable about Nardini etc. call Clay Spencer @ Spencer rifle barrels. Hope I was some help
Old 01-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the advice I hope to have one soon I may be getting south bend 10 if we can get together on the price
Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT SNIPER View Post
Thanks for all the advice I hope to have one soon I may be getting south bend 10 if we can get together on the price
There are 2 South Bend 10" lathes. The one you want for gunsmithing is known as the Heavy 10. It has a 1-3/8" hole through the spindle. The other one has too small a spindle hole to do barrels through the headstock.

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)
Old 01-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

something that seems to be amissing in this thread is that there are actually two lathes built by most of the better manufacturers. One is known as a "roughing" and the other goes by either "finish" or "precision." If the lathe is not labled as one of the latter names it is of roughing quality. That's not bad in most ways, but the spindle line is different and the fits are different.

Another thing of interest is the actual spindle itself. If the back face of the spindle is threaded, they make tools that thread onto the spindle. There are even chuck adapters that mount on the rear of the spindle. Another neat little item is a hub that goes back there for pulsating coolant. Nothing I've ever seen blows chips out of a hole better than this setup
gary
Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

Good thins to no I almost drove 30 hours to get south bend lathe and found out it was not heavy thank so I'm on the look again thanks every body for the great info I'm starting to get inpatient I want a lathe soon !!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT SNIPER View Post
Good thins to no I almost drove 30 hours to get south bend lathe and found out it was not heavy thank so I'm on the look again thanks every body for the great info I'm starting to get inpatient I want a lathe soon !!
here's something to think about before you plunk down a wad of change. The actual weight of the machine is very important. You buy a really heavy lathe (like a 14" x 54 Monarch) and set it in a typical garage floor that is three to four inches thick. Machine just moves all over the place. A South Bend will want at least 4 inches of dense concrete (unless you opt for the bench lathe).

Secondly 90% of all engine lathes are never setup right from the start. The the guy cusses the manufacturer when he's the problem

Thirdly (and this is extremely criticle) is getting the machine correctly aligned and strait. 90% of the folks can't do it, and half of the other 10% only half way do it. I don't care if you spend $250K or $250 dollars this is important (also makes the machine run better and last much longer).

There is a way to cheat with the foundation, but it's not cheap. A lathe must have holes in the concrete for lag bolts and set on steel pads that are at least 3/8" thick. Otherwise you can't make it cut strait and it will never stay level.

all I'm trying to say is to start out right, and you rid yourself of a lot of problems.
gary
Old 01-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Thanks trickymisfit I will make sure I do that we are going to build shop at my ranch so I will have the slab beefed up and will get u to talk me thue it LOL