Originally Posted by BOBCAT SNIPER
Good thins to no I almost drove 30 hours to get south bend lathe and found out it was not heavy thank so I'm on the look again thanks every body for the great info I'm starting to get inpatient I want a lathe soon !!
here's something to think about before you plunk down a wad of change. The actual weight of the machine is very important. You buy a really heavy lathe (like a 14" x 54 Monarch) and set it in a typical garage floor that is three to four inches thick. Machine just moves all over the place. A South Bend will want at least 4 inches of dense concrete (unless you opt for the bench lathe).
Secondly 90% of all engine lathes are never setup right from the start. The the guy cusses the manufacturer when he's the problem
Thirdly (and this is extremely criticle) is getting the machine correctly aligned and strait. 90% of the folks can't do it, and half of the other 10% only half way do it. I don't care if you spend $250K or $250 dollars this is important (also makes the machine run better and last much longer).
There is a way to cheat with the foundation, but it's not cheap. A lathe must have holes in the concrete for lag bolts and set on steel pads that are at least 3/8" thick. Otherwise you can't make it cut strait and it will never stay level.
all I'm trying to say is to start out right, and you rid yourself of a lot of problems.