Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

What lathe to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Silver Member

What lathe to buy

WHAT LATHE DO I BUY I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER WHEN I LEARN WHAT IM DOING IT WILL ONLY BE FOR MY OWN GUNS THANKS DONT LIKE TO G.A.L.[GET ANOTHER LATER] ALSO WHERE DO I GET REAMER FOR 338AM IT SOUNDS LIKE THAT WILL BE NEXT ON MY LIST OF HAVE TO HAVE
Old 03-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What lathe to buy

Grizzly carries many metal lathes and several Gunsmith lathes. Small world too, they also sell Krieger barrels and the President of Grizzley also has several national records in F-class shooting. Try this link:

Grizzly.com -- Product Categories
Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

+1 on the G4009G gunsmith lathe. If I didn't already have a lathe that will chamber barrels thorugh the headstock, that's the one I'd buy. I think it's hard to beat for the money and it has the features needed to support both hobby and professional barrel work as well as about any other lathe task within it's size range.

I've been in the Grizzly showroom in Muncy, PA. I saw both the G4009G and the G0509G, twisted the knobs, looked them over pretty good. I definitely liked what I saw. The more expensive one is nicer (no belt changes required to get all the speeds and nicer feeling lead screws), but the smaller one is completely adequate and would last a life time, or even two. Grizzly stocks parts and accessories (trust me on this, you will spend the cost of the lathe in tooling before it's over) over the long haul - a major feature. Things like a DRO, etc. are very nice additions.

That said, any good quality 12x36 gear head import with a 1-1/2" or larger spindle bore that will do both metric and imperial threads will work. A number of European rifles have metric threads on the barrel so metric thread capability is almost mandatory unless one is going to restrict themselves to strictly domestic actions.

The lathe is the most important first machine tool. Getting one that won't need to be upgraded is a heck of a good idea because not too far down the road you will want a mill ... I did ...

Fitch
Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Fitch, good feedback and insight, sounds like you've been a round a lathe or two.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Fitch, good feedback and insight, sounds like you've been a round a lathe or two.
I have a few thousand hours with them. I've used them as a hobby machinist for ~ 60 years more or less. They are a lot of fun.

Fitch
Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

Thanks i will look into the fine advice i have a lot to learn have not ben on one since high scool shop class but have nat found anything i could not do by the way whatis a dro.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT SNIPER View Post
Thanks i will look into the fine advice i have a lot to learn have not ben on one since high scool shop class but have nat found anything i could not do by the way whatis a dro.
DRO = Digital Read Out. It shows the position of the machine in thousandts of an inch. It's just like having a digital caliper attached to the carriage and cross slide of your lathe. I don't have one on either of my lathes but I do have one on my mill. It's the handiest accessory I ever bought for my mill. My buddy, the gunsmith, has a Grizzly DRO on his chambering lathe and another on the tail stock. Watching him use that I have put it at the top of my list of things to get for the shop.

There are lots of manufacturers of them. This is a link to the DRO's sold by Grizzly. Grizzly.com -- Online Catalog

Fitch