close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

What happened to Chris Matthews of Long Shot Rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Gold Member

Re: What happened to Chris Matthews of Long Shot Rifles?

Mr. Matthews finally did file a bankruptcy. Anyone wishing to file a claim needs to potentially do so. A call to the Bankruptcy Court to find out if he filed a "no asset" chapter 7 is the smart thing. If he did file it as a "no asset" then they will not even let you file a claim regarding the amounts that he owes you. It does not stop you from filing a cause of action for nondischargability regarding your claim if you think he committed fraud. Here is his case number. The case was filed yesterday.

United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Missouri, Case number: 2:14-bk-20046

Debtors: Christopher Clint Matthews and Diana Kathleen Matthews

Date Filed: Jan. 22, 2014 - Chapter 7

Jeffvn

Unread 01-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Jeff,

How does one do that>????? I took 2K from me some time backů
Can you tell me how to do this and what you find out??
Thanks

mario
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Gold Member

I'm going to touch base with the clerk of the court later this week to see if the case was filed as a "no asset Chapter 7." If it was they will not let you file a proof of claim regarding the debt. It its a regular Ch. 7, then you can file a proof of claim (you can go to the court website and down load the PDF form and submit it electronically if you have an account or mail it in if you do not.

Even if it was filed as a "no asset Ch. 7" if you feel that he committed fraud you can try to have your debt declared non-dischargable based upon fraud.

JeffVN
Unread 06-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

I've got two 6.5x47's built by Chris. The 1st is a heavy tactical, the 2nd, a lighter hunting rifle. I love them both. At 2200+ rounds each, they are both still going strong. Chris is a very talented gunsmith but a horrible businessman. I know he pissed off a lot of folks. Wish he was still cutt'in metal!

Alan
Unread 06-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Bronze Member

Last I heard on the Hide he is headed to the grey bar hotel. Finally pissed off the wrong guy.

Regards, Paul
Unread 06-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPR View Post
Last I heard on the Hide he is headed to the grey bar hotel. Finally pissed off the wrong guy.

Regards, Paul
Why is he headed to jail?? I would think a guy he wronged and pissed off would be in his way for paying him back for all the people he wronged
Unread 07-07-2015, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

I am retired from the Justice Department a few years back. There are two court venues in both the State and Federal system. One is Civil Court and the second is Criminal Court.

In Civil court one can file complaints, and sue for damages. The end results if you win, you either get your money back with or without the cost and interest accrued or you get a judgment against the defendant. It is a semi private affair the only government involvement is the service of papers and hearing of the facts in a court room or with an arbitrator.

In the Criminal Venue (state court) most courts have statutes for criminal fraud usually in cases of business between two private individuals is is in the form of "obtaining Property Under False Pretenses". The law enforcement agency ie: Sheriff, City/County/State do the investigation, The District Attorney Prosecutes the case. Depending on the dollar amount usually dictates if it is in Misdemeanor or Felony Court. If it crosses state lines and involves the mail, credit cards, or checks it can be investigated by the Feds ie: Postal Inspectors, or Secret Service. The U.S. Attorney's office prosecutes the case. Usually mail or wire fraud. The feds rarely would prosecute a single case. Now if there are many victims and over $250,000.00 involved, they will sometimes get involved.

Just an idea how and where these kind a problems can go.

Nat Lambeth