Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

What does my Cooper need?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

What does my Cooper need?

Cooper Pic Link
Cooper Load Data Link

It came stock "bedded and floated", I've adjusted the trigger and it's nice and crisp now. The weird thing is the barrel isn't crowned, would crowning the barrel give me any better accuracy than shown in my .PDF of load data? How about blueprinting? I'm really not sure what is all done at the Cooper factory, so if anyone knows that would be great aswell.

I came here instead of bothering Dan (Cooper) in his "new" life, He's a damn good guy though, I feel horrible about what happened. (He is doing very well now, about all I can say....)

Thanks!

Last edited by B-RAD; 06-18-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What does my Cooper need?

What do you mean by when you say its not crowned? If they didn't crown it id be for getting on the phone. Id shoot it first and see how she does. If it shoots good don't touch it till it needs a new barrel
Old 06-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screech View Post
What do you mean by when you say its not crowned? If they didn't crown it id be for getting on the phone. Id shoot it first and see how she does. If it shoots good don't touch it till it needs a new barrel
Unless there is a microscopic crown on the muzzle.... there isn't one. As for how it shoots... did you look at the pdf?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

It comes blueprinted and crowned from the factory. It likely has what's called a recessed target crown which is anywhere from 0 degrees (flat) to 11 degrees but countersunk about .040-.080" in contrast to traditional 45-60 degree hunting rifles.

If you're consistently and repeatedly shooting 3 shot groups less than .25" center to center at 100 yds with multiple bullets and loads as implied by your pdf, then you're all set.

If you're getting .105" center to center consistently, then you're ready to go compete.

-- richard
Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RAD View Post
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4582/p9250119.jpg
http://www.myitcrew.net/Cooper.pdf

Here is my basically stock Cooper .223.

It came stock "bedded and floated", I've adjusted the trigger and it's nice and crisp now. The weird thing is the barrel isn't crowned, would crowning the barrel give me any better accuracy than shown in my .PDF of load data? How about blueprinting? I'm really not sure what is all done at the Cooper factory, so if anyone knows that would be great aswell.

Thanks!
Its hard to second guess anyone but if you can't see any crown it might be a clean 90o cut without
any recess. This is the same thing as a crown it's just not recessed for protection of the crown.

I have seen this a few times but consider it not a good idea because any kind of contact with
the "Crown" can damage it and cause accuracy problems.

Post a picture of it and let us look at the muzzle.

Without disassembling the action there is no way to be sure if it was Blue printed or not.

The 1 in 14 twist seems a little slow for a 223 but if it shoots, great.

Is your load data yours or theirs, and have you grouped it?

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Its hard to second guess anyone but if you can't see any crown it might be a clean 90o cut without
any recess. This is the same thing as a crown it's just not recessed for protection of the crown.

I have seen this a few times but consider it not a good idea because any kind of contact with

Without disassembling the action there is no way to be sure if it was Blue printed or not.

J E CUSTOM
I don't care if they trued the action with a bastard file and a claw hammer.
His PDF says he's shooting .105" groups. (@100yds?)
That's "blueprinted" by my definition.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
It comes blueprinted and crowned from the factory. It likely has what's called a recessed target crown which is anywhere from 0 degrees (flat) to 11 degrees but countersunk about .040-.080" in contrast to traditional 45-60 degree hunting rifles.

If you're consistently and repeatedly shooting 3 shot groups less than .25" center to center at 100 yds with multiple bullets and loads as implied by your pdf, then you're all set.

If you're getting .105" center to center consistently, then you're ready to go compete.

-- richard
under .250" groups are very easy, as for the .105, I'm not ready to compete just yet, I actually had 50 rnds of the exact ammo that made .105 ready to test on paper, but ended up shooting it last week at prairie dogs due to running out of ammo... so in the next few months I plan to do it, just to see if I can repeat that great load. As for the crown it does have what you called a recessed crown, but to me a crown is in the refiling and this surly isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

J E CUSTOM
The Load Data are my loads and groups over the last 2 years, I don't shoot that often as the range is far away, and I don't shoot competition only prairie dogs once a year

Attached is an image from 2 years or so ago of the crown, I can get an updated closer and better picture this weekend if needed.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What does my Cooper need?-p9190106.jpg