Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

What can I expect to pay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: What can I expect to pay?

You have a much better chance of having a shooter if you go with a Shilen, Brux, Lilja or other match barrel. Factory barrels leave a lot to be desired.

Does anyone want to assert that the whole accurizing industry is a scam ? If you watch the youtube videos of some of the people who know what they are doing, and see how tapered and out of square the threads, bolt lugs and bolt face is, then I think we know what we are getting in a Rem factory action.

I have tired of crappy factory rifles, so all I do now is buy donors and build them with Shilen barrels. I seldom have more than $1000 into them, laminate stock and all. You would have to be very lucky indeed to come close with anyones factory rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybrown View Post
Let me throw another wrench in the mix. If I went out and bought a new Remington 700 CDL in 257 weatherby it would run about $950. If I bought a remage CBI barrel with the lug and nut, I would be into it for about $400 roughly, plus the value of my current 7mm mag, which I figure would put me at roughly $950. Which way is the better choice with this option?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpoor View Post
You can probably buy a new Weatherby Vanguard in 257WM for about the same or less money than a barrel swap on the 700. I helped S-I-L develop a load for a Vanguard in 300Weatherby a month or so ago and it is a shooter. Unless you are wanting to get something special I just don't see what you would gain.

VERY TRUE.....A question I am pondering myself. Id love to have a .257 but hate like hell laying out $1100-1300 for a non factory rifle
Old 11-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Let me throw another wrench in the mix. If I went out and bought a new Remington 700 CDL in 257 weatherby it would run about $950. If I bought a remage CBI barrel with the lug and nut, I would be into it for about $400 roughly, plus the value of my current 7mm mag, which I figure would put me at roughly $950. Which way is the better choice with this option?

Purchase the Rem CDL.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
You have a much better chance of having a shooter if you go with a Shilen, Brux, Lilja or other match barrel. Factory barrels leave a lot to be desired.

Does anyone want to assert that the whole accurizing industry is a scam ? If you watch the youtube videos of some of the people who know what they are doing, and see how tapered and out of square the threads, bolt lugs and bolt face is, then I think we know what we are getting in a Rem factory action.

I have tired of crappy factory rifles, so all I do now is buy donors and build them with Shilen barrels. I seldom have more than $1000 into them, laminate stock and all. You would have to be very lucky indeed to come close with anyones factory rifle.
+1!

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What can I expect to pay?-thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg  

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Well I've decided to leave the 7mm mag as it is. I have a Savage 114 chambered in 300 win mag that I have never shot that I'm going to use for a build. I pulled the barrel tonight and have started looking around at aftermarket barrels. Are all the premium barrels about the same quality wise? What's the best length to go with for this cartridge? 28-30"
Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well I've decided to leave the 7mm mag as it is. I have a Savage 114 chambered in 300 win mag that I have never shot that I'm going to use for a build. I pulled the barrel tonight and have started looking around at aftermarket barrels. Are all the premium barrels about the same quality wise? What's the best length to go with for this cartridge? 28-30"
You will get plenty of opinions at varying levels to filter through. I have a 30" Lilja 1:8, 3-groove, .750" at the muzzle on my Savage 110 .270 AI (My budget .270 AI ...) and am very pleased with it.

IIWY, my minimum length for a custom barrel would be 28" ... but would probably go with 30" (can't reverse the process if you want it longer ).

NOTE: For your consideration, a 30" barrel + muzzle brake requires extra long gun case.

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are all the premium barrels about the same quality wise?
Not even a little bit. Beware of the budget priced ones. I also would strongly urge you to avoid prefit or prechambered barrels. The barrel makers are better at making barrels than taking the time it takes to fit one to the level of precision available today.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.