Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Welding on a bolt handle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Kirk ask your buddy what filler rod he used being a welder for the last 39 year's i find all things about welding interesting

JIM
Old 12-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

I assume that you TIGed your handel on , I bought some 3 1/2% nickle rods from Brownells to play with and found that they give a very nice weld without any porosity troubles.
I'm gonna be trying to weld a bolt handel on soon and this is what I'm planning to use , I think that the actual welding is the easy part , getting it setup and timed correctly in a jig is gonna be the hard part.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

dead beat, next time I run into him I'll be sure and ask, with the way it was milled we didn't have to use much filler.

James, yes sir it was tig welded I did a 788 and was told silver solder would hold it, yeah that worked well!! seting things up is a real pain but with the Mauser action it's pretty simple getting things set-up and then getting things to stay in place is something that might make you say a few choice words lol. Best of luck to ya on your bolt weld project.

I still have not got that picture! but I'll post it when I get my camera back. Later,

Kirk
Old 12-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

James, 3 1/2 percent nickel is an excellent filler metal for welding bolt handles. It's 80-90 ksi ultimate tensile strength, has excellent toughness , and great weldability to boot. I think it's prone to come out purplish (plum) color if you blue it tho, and I haven't tried parkerizing it yet. It's been many years since I used to blue guns (caustic hot blue), but I think that it was usually nickel content that caused parts to come out like that. If you do blue it, I would like to know how it looks.

Jim, ER 309 and INCO 82 are also very good choices if you want to use an austenitic filler metal for its toughness, strength and weldability, but they won't blue.

Kirk and James: If you weld on any assembly that was silver brazed originally, like Remington bolt handles, it is necessary to get absolutely every trace of the silver off before welding (no matter what kind of filler metal you use), otherwise it will spit, blow, smoke, crater, and may cause small cracks in the weld itself.

Kirk, silver brazing is about 1/2 science and 1/2 art. Don't be too hard on yourself. You would be amazed at how many skilled weldors can't do it right.

Man I'm long-winded.

Good luck, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time