Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Welding on a bolt handle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

Welding on a bolt handle

Hey fella's I have a small delima! I can taste me shooting my new build but there is a slight problem, the guy that was going to weld on the bolt handle seems to have gone MIA and the other will be out for a couple of weeks, question is does anyone have a person that can weld on a bolt handle? this is a Mauser action and the bolt handle I turned since I could not find the one I was looking for. If anyone knows of anyone or can do the work please get with me. I've been working on building this rifle for the last couple of months and well I'm to a point I can't do the work being I don't have the proper tools and to be truthful I wanna get some bullets down the tube. I live in Oklahoma but I know how to use the mail :-) fella's your help would be appreciated!!! Later,

Kirk
Old 11-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Give Nathan Dagley a call , he TIG welds on the handels of the custom bolts when he uses the PTG bolts , or any decient gunsmith should be able to silver solder it on , not as strong but if done right you'll never break it off without tearing it up
Old 11-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Kirk, been out for awhile searching for Bambi's daddy. Did you find someone to weld the bolt handle? If not, email me at specweldtom@sbcglobal.net. I've done a few Mauser bolt handles. TIG weld them.

Good luck, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Last edited by specweldtom; 08-20-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

I just thougth ya know if i don't give it a try I'll never know if I can do it so I just forgot about everything that was worrying me and just did it! turned out much better than I thought! I did get a couple of pits but they will grind out when I shape the bolt.

specweldtom, thanks for the offer sir! Later,

Kirk
Old 11-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Kirk. if you're heliarcing, use ER 70S-6 filler metal and a torch with a gas lense if you have to go back and touch it up. That will usually stop the porosity flare-ups. Once you have it tho, it's harder to get rid of. If you're just going to polish the bolt and handle and not blue or parkerize, you can use any 300 series stainless filler metal (ER 308, 316, etc and the porosity will clean up quickly. Makes a strong, tough joint too.

Good going; if it was easy, everybody would be doing it! Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 11-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

this sounds to much like work just kidding i have good luck useing inco 82 if your not sure what the material if made of its great for dissimilar metal's 309 is another good choice if there's alot of carbon in the handle
Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Well fella's with a little help from a welder buddy the thing has been put together! I could not tell you the filler rod material but I didn't use all that much, ron cut the original off in the mill which made a nifty little pocket for the bolt handle to rest in and after welding it in not much grinder work to get it in shape, a little more is needed and yes I got a couple of porosity holes but for the most part it works great! by the time I'm done with the contour the porosity should be removed and I'll post a picture. Again fella's thanks for all the help! Later,

Kirk