Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Weatherproof Gun- Stainless of Cerakote CM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Weatherproof Gun- Stainless of Cerakote CM

I grew up hunting the Great-Lakes region where fall meant hunting in rain, mud, snow, or all three at the same time. We used to come in for lunch & completely dismantle firearms to dry them out to prevent rust (or ice in the action). I ordered a Browning Stainless Stalker a year before they were available because I knew how practical a stainless/composite firearm would be. I still feel this way.

Most of our family's firearms are now stainless/synthetic because this is practical. I love the looks of a grade 5 walnut stock on a finely blued firearm, that's just something I know is silly to beat the brush with in crappy weather.

My only complaint with stainless rifles is the reflections most produce. I've got 2 that have been coated just for this reason. FINALLY Remington introduced the XCR2 with a dark finish! Now, hopefully, others will follow. I strongly recommend stainless/synthetic and suggest having it coated or simply paint it.

I'm amazed shotgun manufacturers haven't caught on to the stainless/synthetic formula. I love my Benelli, but I would love it more if it was rust resistant.