Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Weatherby vanguard build advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

Weatherby vanguard build advice

I just got a weatherby vanguard chambered in 300 wby. First I'm going to get a new stock for it, this tuppaware stock ain't going to cut it. What stocks do y'all like? I'm looking at mcmallian a5 stocks.
Next what gunsmiths do y'all recommend to put a good quality barrel on it as well as true the action.
Ill drop a timney in it.
Who do y'all recommend to do the work?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby vanguard build advice

Just had a couple of these done myself... one was actually a S&W M1500 which is the same thing. your choices in stocks boil down to B&C, McMillan and Manners. If your barrel is heavier than a #5 contour, that eliminates the B&C in a long action. I used the B&C medalist for one and and a Manners for the other. The Manners stock is not a true fit to the Howa/Vanguard action. The tang of the action protrudes above the stock by about 1/4", so the stock need to be built up or the tang milled down. I opted for my smith to round the top edges of the tang. My next heavy barrel build will be with a McMillan. For #5 barrels and less< ill go with the Medalist.

I would recommend finding a good local smith who will work on this action - not all do. If you can't find such a smith, I would gladly recommend my smith. He's a great guy and does excellent work.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

A few years ago I bought a used Howa 1500 in 270Win. to use as a donor action for a semi custom build my dad wanted to do. He sent it to Randy Melvin (Bull Mountain Rifle Company) in Billings Mt. and had it turned into a 6.5-06ai. I ordered a Manners T2 stock for it which Randy put pillars in it and bedded it to the action. They used a Lilja barrel and a Timney trigger. It turned out VERY well and is probably one of if not the best shooting rifle in my dad's safe and he doesn't have a great deal of money invested in that build.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

McMillan will inlet an A5 for a Vanguard if you ask for it. The only problem with McMillan is by the time you get it, you may be too old to use it.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

I got a blackhawk knoxx from my buddy. It was free and it's actually a nice stock. Reduced recoil dramatically. Who knows, I may keep it lol.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kiser View Post
I got a blackhawk knoxx from my buddy. It was free and it's actually a nice stock. Reduced recoil dramatically. Who knows, I may keep it lol.
That works too...

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Ugly as all get out but it works for now. Ill talk to mcmallian to get the ball rolling. What barrel should I go with?