Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing


Reply

Weatherby stock question

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 27
Weatherby stock question

Can a weatherby vanguard be made to fit a weatherby mark 5 stock or any other stocks and if so what"s it take.Any any advice will hep thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,535
Re: Weatherby stock question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslinger View Post
Can a weatherby vanguard be made to fit a weatherby mark 5 stock or any other stocks and if so what"s it take.Any any advice will hep thanks
What do you mean by "any other stocks"?

There are several stocks that are made just to fit a Vanguard, so there is little reason if any to adapt anything else.

Search here using the word Vanguard and there are 21 different options:
StockysStocks.com (MBI, Inc.) Product List
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 27
Re: Weatherby stock question

I'm sorry i didn't say in my title i'm canadian.U.S.Gun parts cannot be shipped to canada privatly.I cannot find one stock in canada on internet inletted for my vanguard in my price range $500 new or used.bell and carlson make one model only howa long action weatherby style medalion. I would REALLY like aluminum bedding block BUT also some sort of straight line stock. Cabelas canada ( only one store in the whole country)and wholesale sports are the only retail stores in winnipeg and bass pro shop canada(1500 miles east)ONLY sells $99 ram-line stocks A few idepenant gun makers with axpensive permits will import one for you at a good fee plus shipping and handling.The nearest one to me is over 1000 miles so no pick up , more shipping and handling.Used mcmillans-manners-h,s,percision go for around $800 and up only saw a few in last two years none for howa 1500.I will start saving up.I have been told plastic vanguard don't bed well and very hard free float.I would like a stiff wood stock till then. I know a guy with old weatherby wood stock i can buy cheap .I have marine tex grey(very very very hard to get here)but only enough for a couple tries.My options are limited. ANY ADICE WOULD REALLY HELP THANKS
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,373
Re: Weatherby stock question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslinger View Post
I'm sorry i didn't say in my title i'm canadian.U.S.Gun parts cannot be shipped to canada privatly.I cannot find one stock in canada on internet inletted for my vanguard in my price range $500 new or used.bell and carlson make one model only howa long action weatherby style medalion. I would REALLY like aluminum bedding block BUT also some sort of straight line stock. Cabelas canada ( only one store in the whole country)and wholesale sports are the only retail stores in winnipeg and bass pro shop canada(1500 miles east)ONLY sells $99 ram-line stocks A few idepenant gun makers with axpensive permits will import one for you at a good fee plus shipping and handling.The nearest one to me is over 1000 miles so no pick up , more shipping and handling.Used mcmillans-manners-h,s,percision go for around $800 and up only saw a few in last two years none for howa 1500.I will start saving up.I have been told plastic vanguard don't bed well and very hard free float.I would like a stiff wood stock till then. I know a guy with old weatherby wood stock i can buy cheap .I have marine tex grey(very very very hard to get here)but only enough for a couple tries.My options are limited. ANY ADICE WOULD REALLY HELP THANKS

I would try to talk to Don At = Stocky's New Rifle Stocks - America's Gunstock Specialist! and see if he could help you.

He has a very nice laminate stock for a Howa and if anyone could help get you one
He will.

The stock is $124.44 and shipping. Maybe he could ship to a friend in the US and he could
ship to you. After all it's just a piece of wood.

I hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,027
Re: Weatherby stock question

gslinger, You're on the right track with the wood stock. If you pillar block, bed, and freefloat it, it will be many times better than the Tupperware stock. If the rifle is factory, the barrel will be the limiting factor on accuracy, not the stock.

Jump on the wood stock. If you can get Brownell's products, don't worry about running out of the Marine-Tex. Brownell's SteelBed in my opinion is as good or better than the Marine-Tex.

Tom
__________________
Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 27
Re: Weatherby stock question

Hello EH. Talk to don, no luck.Got idea while talking to him.Typed in International gun stock dealers in U.S.This popped up International Orders-Richards Microfit Gunstocks Inc.He shippes as WOODEN SPORTING GOODS and will ship to canada.On his website i found the stock i want.Hugh selection of styles ,colors ,options.The price is only half of buget.It's every thing i wanted and ten times more. It's a wood,will piller-bed -free float.It will take a few months to get here.Now have enough to buy case trimmer and prep station,so i can start learning to reload.Have other guns (270 remington pump 7600-308 clip fed lever savage 99c-308 husquvarna lightweight bolt) that i can try to load for, so i can use them to hunt with this year. Question I will use 165g in 308 bolt mostly deer-will use 180g for savage lever for moose and elk -150g for 270 pump for everything. is there one powder i can use, and a good load i could start with. Will use same bullets from over the counter for my 10 day elk hunt in one week (shot 7x8 bull elk 3 years ago, shot 6x6 bull elk last year.Saw herd bull two years ago he looked twice the size of the of the two i got. range finder said 650. hence long range gun 7mm rem mag thanks guys
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,373
Re: Weatherby stock question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslinger View Post
Hello EH. Talk to don, no luck.Got idea while talking to him.Typed in International gun stock dealers in U.S.This popped up International Orders-Richards Microfit Gunstocks Inc.He shippes as WOODEN SPORTING GOODS and will ship to canada.On his website i found the stock i want.Hugh selection of styles ,colors ,options.The price is only half of buget.It's every thing i wanted and ten times more. It's a wood,will piller-bed -free float.It will take a few months to get here.Now have enough to buy case trimmer and prep station,so i can start learning to reload.Have other guns (270 remington pump 7600-308 clip fed lever savage 99c-308 husquvarna lightweight bolt) that i can try to load for, so i can use them to hunt with this year. Question I will use 165g in 308 bolt mostly deer-will use 180g for savage lever for moose and elk -150g for 270 pump for everything. is there one powder i can use, and a good load i could start with. Will use same bullets from over the counter for my 10 day elk hunt in one week (shot 7x8 bull elk 3 years ago, shot 6x6 bull elk last year.Saw herd bull two years ago he looked twice the size of the of the two i got. range finder said 650. hence long range gun 7mm rem mag thanks guys

That's great news.

We Hate to hear that a fellow shooter is having trouble getting what they need to go hunting.

Good luck on your hunt.

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Weatherby stock question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new gun stock question weatherby????? trigger103 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 4 04-01-2012 03:49 PM
Weatherby Question C.O. Shooter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 12 12-06-2011 01:59 PM
.338/.378 and .300 Weatherby question ARM28 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 4 11-12-2007 11:03 PM
stock for a mark 5 weatherby 257 weatherby mag. MISSLEAD Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 2 09-12-2007 10:25 AM
270 Weatherby Question GO-FASTER Reloading 9 01-03-2006 10:13 AM

Current Poll
Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?
YES - 33.75%
764 Votes
NO - 66.25%
1,500 Vote
Total Votes: 2,264
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC