Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Weatherby Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Weatherby Actions

I am also a fan of Weatherby V Actions... I wish the company would sell just the actions... Buying a higher end gun just to use the action for a donor puts the price of the build a bit above what I want to be into the build. With all the Barrel burning calibers that these action house you would think there would be a few extra actions around with washed out barrels. It just goes to show you that 99% of the gun buyers will never shoot the bigger hunting guns enough to ever wear out a barrel...dgarrett
Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrett View Post
I am also a fan of Weatherby V Actions... I wish the company would sell just the actions... Buying a higher end gun just to use the action for a donor puts the price of the build a bit above what I want to be into the build. With all the Barrel burning calibers that these action house you would think there would be a few extra actions around with washed out barrels. It just goes to show you that 99% of the gun buyers will never shoot the bigger hunting guns enough to ever wear out a barrel...dgarrett
I started buying Weatherby's because they were local. Turned out to be a very good decision.

I was at Weatherby a while back. I asked them about actions. The response was 'we got burned' so no actions. I was told barreled actions are available. I did not ask the price at the time. I guess I now have a reason to visit the shop, oh darn.

At the moment there are 3 Mark Vs, 3 Vanguard (s1), 3 Rem 700 long actions. Now I am always on the look out for Mark Vs.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Gold Member

As someone with a degree in manufacturing engineering & lots of experience as a machinist, I can attest to the interrupted thread design generally not needing lapping. Since the interupted-thread lugs are cut as threads are cut, they line up naturally (unless there is slop in the machine). As they line up, both on the bolt & in the chamber, they will make contact and be consistent without lapping.

In a 2-lug action, or "normal" 3-lug actions, lugs are cut by positioning the machine for each cut, which can introduce positional error. Lapping is used to correct for any positional error. I have seen lugs that barely made contact & some that did not make contact — except as the action twisted under the pressure of a fire. Such an action cannot be very accurate and must be lapped.

With the range you are limiting yourself to I would recommend the .25-06. It can handle your maximum range without destroying a lot of meat if you get a close shot, and do so for a lot less money than the .257 Weatherby. That said, my primary deer rifle is a .25-06 yet I'm shopping for a .257 Weatherby because it is something neat that I don't have. I also love the "fit" of a Weatherby rifle and how they minimize felt recoil. I understand your choice. Like you, I hunt in whatever weather presents itself so I prefer stainless/synthetic rifles.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

+2 on the S-2 25-06