Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Weatherby Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby Actions

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Thanks Dr. Vette, so you got the Vanguard in 24", that sounds like what I'd like, just in stainless steel probably. I cn always rebarrel it if it doesn't shoot accurately. It's going to be a 300 yds or less whitetail woods gun. Thanks
I've actually got on in a Mark V (ULW custom) and now also a Vanguard.
For a deer or antelope rifle at up to 500 yards, you'll do just fine.
Mine is a stainless as well.

If anything, you may want to swap the stock to a Bell & Carlson, and consider bedding it. However, even in the plain plastic stocks they seem to shoot very well.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=etisll40;891746]Okay, are you joking on the 24" because of length or the 257 caliber? Or tempting me more to get it? I like the sound of both of these rifles. It appears the Mark 5 action may be the most desirable? Thanks for chiming in.[/QUO

there are actually two different MK.V. actions, plus a short one that was only used in the Varmint Master. The main difference is that most we think of are nine lug actions, while some are six lug actions. Have not seen a Varmint Master in years, and don't know if they are still in production. My light weight 30-06 is a six lug action, and still over built. The magnums are nine lug actions normally unless they are in a Howa.

If your looking at a 25-06 or even a .257AI, then the Howa will do nicely. And in some ways is a little better. But if you decide to build a no free bore .257 mag, you want a nine lug MK.V. Reloading data is almost always for the free bore version. Chamber pressure will seriously spike. I think Pacnor has some zero free bore reamers in house.
gary
Old 12-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

I am serious. The 257 Wby in a 24" barrel might as well be a 25-06. On this caliber those 2" are about a 200 fps difference. A 24" 257Wby is about the same speed as my 25-06AI did.

257Wby factory ammo in a no freebore rifle equals a K-Boom in most spectacular fashion. Nothing wrong with a factory chamber. Mine shoots in the .2's and our burned up throat one still shoots .400".

No one needs that sort of accuracy or speed for 300 yard deer hunting. A 257 Roberts will do that all day long. The 257Wby on a 5" target it has a point blank range of 400 yards. I thought you were interested in the glamour of having a 257 Weatherby in a real Mark 5 rifle.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

I am interested in the glamor a bit! I don't have a Weatherby action and caliber in the safe. I have just about everything else, caliber and action wise. I think I prefer the composite stocks though, mostly because almost all hunting here has some weather effect going on. The action whether 6 or 9 lug probably won't matter as either couldbe used for a custom gun if I wanted to change to another caliber. I'd probably keep it as is if i can. I think if I just wanted a 25 cal, 25-06 would be more than enough. But I think the 257 caliber fits the bill for me.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I am interested in the glamor a bit! I don't have a Weatherby action and caliber in the safe. I have just about everything else, caliber and action wise. I think I prefer the composite stocks though, mostly because almost all hunting here has some weather effect going on. The action whether 6 or 9 lug probably won't matter as either couldbe used for a custom gun if I wanted to change to another caliber. I'd probably keep it as is if i can. I think if I just wanted a 25 cal, 25-06 would be more than enough. But I think the 257 caliber fits the bill for me.
I've been around two or three .257 mags with 24" barrels. They shot well, and maybe had 100fps less velocity than the 26" barrel. Extremely loud for no more than what it was. All these rifles were rechambered Ruger #1's that started life as .257 Roberts. The free bore and throats were a little short, but there was free bore in there. Powders of choice were 4831, 4350, and 3100.

Now with the thought of deer hunting out to 400 yards in mind, there probably is nothing much better than a pain jane .257 Roberts improved (I'd go the 30 degree shoulder route). But if somebody like Hornaday or Berger would do a 140 grain bullet; the .257mag would be king! Even a standard .257 Roberts will everything you want, and last forever. A .257 improved in a Vanguard is what I'd be wanting
gary
Old 12-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

weaberby markv rifles have a 6 or a 9 lug bolt. the markv rifles that are non weatherby calibres have 6 lug bolts. there are some early mark v's in 30-06 and 270 that were built on the 9 lug action but are hard to find.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

I hear the 257 Roberts talked about a lot, is that a short action cartridge. It seems like the 25-06 is between the roberts and the magnum. I'm still going to get a 257 weatherby I think though as I want to stick with getting a Weatherby action and a Weatherby cartridge. It won't be my only whitetail rifle but that and hogs are my 2 primary hunts. I'm looking at the stainless alaskan.