Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Weatherby Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Weatherby Actions

Any recommendation on which Weatherby actions are best to build off of? How much can you customize these, triggers and stocks?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby Actions

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Any recommendation on which Weatherby actions are best to build off of? How much can you customize these, triggers and stocks?

When using a cartridge with a case head larger than a magnum (.534 diameter) I like to use the Mark 5 Weatherby action. for standard case heads or magnum case heads I will use almost any action (Like the Weatherby Vanguard also known as the Howa).

The Weatherby are not to hard to get after market parts for but are not as common as the Remingtons and Savages.

Timney makes triggers for both the Mark 5 and the Vanguard. after market stocks are also available.

What cartridge do you want to build ?

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a Weatherby cartidge or rifle, so that settles in the decision. I also don't have a 25 caliber. I do like hunting whitetail and that's a good caliber for whitetail I hear. I kinda thought a Weatherby maybe a Weatherby in 257 magnum. The other choice would be a 25-06. Maybe that on a Weatherby action. Then I'll have a 25 caliber and a Weatherby action rifle. What are your thoughts on that combination and Weatherby? which action and such, barrel length and twist. It will be a carry rifle and probably in cold weather here.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

The Weatherby Mark 5 Ultra Lightweight is 6 3/4 pounds for packing. If you don't mind a little more weight the 8 3/4 pound Accumark is my choice. My son liked mine so much I had to buy him his own just so I could use mine.

Just don't fall for a 24" 257Wby.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Okay, are you joking on the 24" because of length or the 257 caliber? Or tempting me more to get it? I like the sound of both of these rifles. It appears the Mark 5 action may be the most desirable? Thanks for chiming in.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Some insist that the Weatherby Magnums need a full 26 inch barrel to get their best performance and speed. Within reason, that's probably true.

I recently purchased a Wby Vanguard with a 24 inch barrel that shoots 0.22 inches at 100 and keeps that to 0.67 at 300. I'll take that accuracy over a little more speed any day.

So, it just depends if you want to worry about the difference in speed due to the longer barrel. If you don't mind the 26 inches, then by all means buy the Mark V. However, there is nothing wrong, per se, with a 24 inch Vanguard. Just realize it will be a bit slower.

Oh, and I'm not sure you'll see that much benefit in building a 257 Weatherby off a Weatherby action when there are thousands of them already made. No problem adding a trigger, stock, etc but odds are there may not be much reason to rebarrel anything, should that be what you were thinking.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Dr. Vette, so you got the Vanguard in 24", that sounds like what I'd like, just in stainless steel probably. I cn always rebarrel it if it doesn't shoot accurately. It's going to be a 300 yds or less whitetail woods gun. Thanks