Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Vias vs Accubrake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Vias vs Accubrake

Looking into putting a brake on my .300 Wby. Is the Vias really no louder than without? Or should i just send in into Weatherby and have them put the Accubrake on?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vias vs Accubrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270Weatherby View Post
Looking into putting a brake on my .300 Wby. Is the Vias really no louder than without? Or should i just send in into Weatherby and have them put the Accubrake on?

The Vias is one of the quietest brakes available but no break is quite.

The length of the barrel has a lot to do with percieved sound (A shout barrel will sound louder).

The Vias is louder than the Accubrake but it does not reduce recoil as well as the Accubrake.

I like hunting with the Vias because you can fire it without blowing your ears out. (Note It
is not recomended that you shoot any rifle without hearing protection.

Either brake will work, it just depends on which one you like the best.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Bronze Member

I've shot both brakes a bit and there is no doubt the Accubrake is much louder. The Accubrake is very effective, but I didn't care for it because of the noise and blast it gave off. The Vias brake on my 300 RUM is quieter and manages recoil well enough to spot shots, even at short range.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Good info! Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Bronze Member

Get a Gentry quiet brake, it is quieter than the vias I had and it reduces recoil as well as the accubrake. I had a 300-378 with accubrake but could not stand the muzzle blast, put a Gentry brake on and couldn't have been happier.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

If it were me I would not use either of those brakes unless you shoot from a bench, which they are fine.
If by chance you want to shoot prone forget it, instead get a side discharge brake. The first time you shoot your rifle from prone in dirt your gonna think some think exploded and you will be cover with dirt.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

RTK makes a good point. The Accubrake is effective, and the Vais is quieter, but both kick up a lot of dust, debris etc if you're close to the ground. The Holland Quick Discharge brake is very effective and is a 3 chamber side port brake. It is noisy. Ross Shuler makes a line of brakes that resemble the Holland, work as well, and cost 1/2 as much. Installation on the Holland, Shuler, or any other side-ported brake is slower because they have to be clocked in on the barrel.

I have tried Gentry and Shrewd brakes, but prefer the side ported (loud) brakes, with the Vais a close second.

Just my personal preferences.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time