Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Vanguard bottom metal problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Vanguard bottom metal problem?

Looking closely I see a lip around the action holes for the bottom metal. The rear lip looks mis shaped (flawed). They fit just below and in line with the steel pillars. The action screwes don't touch the sides of the bottom metal (that's good).
Are these supposed to be here to float the bottom metal ? or should I grind them off.
?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Vanguard bottom metal problem?-20140428_104749.jpg   Vanguard bottom metal problem?-20140428_104530.jpg  

Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Vanguard bottom metal problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrice23 View Post
Looking closely I see a lip around the action holes for the bottom metal. The rear lip looks mis shaped (flawed). They fit just below and in line with the steel pillars. The action screwes don't touch the sides of the bottom metal (that's good).
Are these supposed to be here to float the bottom metal ? or should I grind them off.
?

It is just for alignment and should go down in the stock allowing the bottom metal to contact the stock inletting.

If you pillar bed the stock they can be ground down or contact the pillars at the same time
the bottom metal contacts the stock. Ether way you want to end up with a metal to metal to
metal contact(Action to pillar to floor metal) and the action screws floating (Not touching the sides of the pillars).

If the bottom of the boss is not square I would probably grind it off if I pillar bedded the rifle.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Re: Vanguard bottom metal problem?

The stock is steel pillar bedded already. The lips are the only thing touching the steel pillars.