Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Vangaurd 257WBY won't shoot - options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vangaurd 257WBY won't shoot - options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
.Or a diffrent rest a lot of good sugestions here but I think you are allready on the right track.
Bingo, I have owned several. If you free floated it there is not much left of the tupperware stocks forearm. Slid the baggs back toward the mag box and start looking for a replacement stock.

Jeff
Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

I hope I didn't get your hopes up but when I mean custom, we bought them from the local scheels as a custom in SS with a grey laminate stock for $600. We bought 270, 257weatherby, 300winmag, 300weatherby. I am currently working on building a 300wsm submoa for a light carry rifle. I replaced the trigger with a timney and am looking at stiffening the fiberguard stock with aluminum strips or just buying a new one.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

OK, I agree - the black plastic stock is a P.O.S. I agree the forearm is not ridgid enough. What are my options? I want a Sendero style stock. A laminate stock would be acceptable. My son wants me to get a JRS style laminate. I am wondering I should just put the OEM trigger back on the rifle, dump it, and go buy a sub MOA vanguard instead?

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member

Last edited by Chopaka81; 01-18-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopaka81 View Post
OK, I agree - the black plastic stock is a P.O.S. I agree the forearm is not ridgid enough. What are my options? I want a Sendero style stock. A laminate stock would be acceptable. My wants me to get a JRS style laminate. I am wondering I should just put the OEM trigger back on the rifle, dump it, and go buy a sub MOA vanguard instead?
Laminate can be a good way to go, but they are heavy. McMillan and Manners would be another way to go instead of the laminate. I put my -06 Vanguard into a Boyd's thumbhole, since it was stiff, and fairly inexpensive. It was my first foray into doing any work on a rifle.

No real need to dump it, you can probably make it fairly accurate without too much effort. Floating the factory stock may not be a good thing, since it's so flimsy that it will probably contact unevenly in the end anyways. I heard that many have good luck with a pressure point anyways, although I did an aggressive free float on mine, and have no complaints.

Bedding can't hurt, and will probably help. I bedded the lug and forward a couple inches, along the action, and the tang, although I put a bit of tape on the back of the tang for some relief.

I also noticed that with my rifle, although I found several loads that shot well, was very picky when it came to loads. Simply changing lots of brass caused the grouping to spread a bit.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

The submoa's stocks are a little better but not much. They are pillared, but they don't have the reinforcing in the forearm for freefloating either. Midway had some B&C medalist stocks on sale awhile back for either $150 or $180. I do have a buddy with a factory tan/black stock from a 300weatherby. It could be a cheap way to go back to a pressure bedded stock. Shoot me a pm if you are interested and I can get you the info.

don't care for pressure bedding either because I have seen some of our vanguard rifles change the POI.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 01-18-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

I checked Midway, those stocks are not sale right now. Does the aluminum bedding block extend the length of the forearm?
Thanks! Don
Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think it is, but it carries my bartlein barrel extremely well on my 6X47lapua. The gun total weight is around seventeen pounds. The other one I was looking at was the new axiom stock from blackhawk. They are different looking, if you like that sort of thing. Hope it works out for you.

Brent