Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Update on braked rifle, bullets keyholing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Update on braked rifle, bullets keyholing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
GrindingGear, would you not be able to see right away when reaming that something is wrong? Would you not have to be drunk to do that without noticing? Just asking because I've never done it and don't know any better.
Not to answer for GG but the first thing you do before chambering is to check the pilot
fit in the barrel and make adjustments if nessary.

Who ever did it Was "NOT" what I would call a smith. (May have been schooled at the
Sears school of screw ups).

99% of all mistakes are caught buy the smith himself because of check and re check and
then proof firing.

IT should have never happened !!!!!!!!

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 02-02-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Chas1,
It was fired for function. It did not have the brake on it at the time and it apparently went bang just fine. They must not have shot it at a paper target, though.

royinidaho,
It would have been an Edge if it had a throat. The fired casings had a neck diameter that miked right in between a fired 308 cal and a fired 338 cal. If you looked really close you could see faint impressions of the rifling on the case neck. Not really noticeable unless you were looking closely.
The brake has a 30 cal orifice, that is the scary part. The barrel was threaded by the "gunsmith" but the brake was put on later by the orignial purchaser. I can see some copper on the inside of the brake, it is fortunate that the brake held its integrity and didn't send any chunks of bullet or brake back at me.

J E Custom,
I figured the same thing as far as not hurting the bore of the barrel but I am still glad that the owner of the shop is getting a 30 cal blank as I didn't want a 338 Ultra, I thought I was buying a 300 Ultra. He regrets that it got out of his shop even though the mistake was not made by him personally.

This whole ordeal will make for an interesting story down the road but I wish it was someone else's story! lol

NRA Life Member

Last edited by sambo3006; 02-02-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
GrindingGear, would you not be able to see right away when reaming that something is wrong? Would you not have to be drunk to do that without noticing? Just asking because I've never done it and don't know any better.
The only series of events that could convince me that it was a simple mistake would be this.

-A solid pilot reamer.
-Small lathe that requires chambering in a steady rest.
-Put the chamber end in the chuck, live center in the muzzle. Turn the muzzle end so that it is concentric with the bore.
-Put the turned muzzle in the chuck, live center in chamber end. Turn enough OD for the Steady rest to ride.
-Now both ends of the barrel are concentric with the bore.
-Swap barrel around. Chamber end in the lathe, muzzle in the steady rest.
-Do all of your crowning and muzzle brake machining
-Swap barrel around. Muzzle end in the lathe, chamber in the steady rest.
-Do all of your chamber side machining and chambering.

The simple mistake that this method wouldn't catch would be checking the bore diameter.

It's a method that would be considered barbaric by any precision minded smith, but would probably be adequate for most average joe hunting rifles.

Last edited by geargrinder; 01-30-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Woah! Glad to see things apear to be addressed and getting corrected!
Are you going to request to be present for the test-fire of your new bbl?
Also what kind of break were you using? You may be one of the luckiest-unlucky guys Ive hered of. Great attitude for the ''funny story down the road'' comment, but WOW.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Bronze Member

If the chamber is concentric you could a 338 neck/throating reamer an turn it into a 338/300 Rum. or Edge.

Ken
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

Threads like this are in my opinion so incredibly important. For both the new and us old timers that may get into a rut and forget that not all smiths are equal.
1. Bought an old 300H&H Winchester several decades ago. Bought some factory fodder. Pulled the trigger and thought I was going to die. SOmeone had re-chambered to a 300Weatherby and did not mark the barrel.

2. 8 years ago I had a smith friend install a brake on a 338 handgun. First shot, I last saw the brake disappear 100 yards down the range. Someone installed it and forgot to open to over bore I presume. Never found the brake.

Thank you so much for the reminders.

Neal