Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

uneven lug contact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

uneven lug contact

I have a weatherby vanguard and when you look at the lugs on the bolt one has full contact and the other has no marks at all. gun shoots 5/8'' groups with my handloads. should I try lapping it? will that screw up the head space?
Old 12-25-2013, 04:02 PM
SPONSOR

Re: uneven lug contact

[QUOTE=okie man;896188 should I try lapping it? will that screw up the head space?[/QUOTE]
It might!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Since you are a roll-yur-own guy a little more headspace shouldn't be that big of concern. If you don't already neck size your brass that is about the worst that could happen and really I don't think you would remove that much metal unless the lugs are waaay out of spec. I have only used lapping compound on action lugs once and that was a co-workers Rem 700 BDL 22/250Rem that had been re-blued by Remington. When he got the rifle back the bolt wouldn't hardly close. I suggested he make arrangements with their service dept. to fix it, but he begged me to see what I could do. It didn't take very long running the action with the compound in it to loosen it up just enough. Make sure to remove the compound when you have finished with it.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

just out of curiosity, how many rounds have been run through it and what caliber is it? If it shoots that good, then depending on caliber, i wouldnt mess with it.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpoor View Post
Since you are a roll-yur-own guy a little more headspace shouldn't be that big of concern. If you don't already neck size your brass that is about the worst that could happen and really I don't think you would remove that much metal unless the lugs are waaay out of spec. I have only used lapping compound on action lugs once and that was a co-workers Rem 700 BDL 22/250Rem that had been re-blued by Remington. When he got the rifle back the bolt wouldn't hardly close. I suggested he make arrangements with their service dept. to fix it, but he begged me to see what I could do. It didn't take very long running the action with the compound in it to loosen it up just enough. Make sure to remove the compound when you have finished with it.
Could you explain alittle further as to why more headspace would'nt matter much? What if its already close to the total maximum allowable headspace?

Last edited by mrbigtexan; 12-26-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Added more to the question
Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigtexan View Post
just out of curiosity, how many rounds have been run through it and what caliber is it? If it shoots that good, then depending on caliber, i wouldnt mess with it.
it's had about a 100 rounds through it. 257 weatherby. more worried about safety factor than accuracy. my 15 year old has taken a liking to it. here's a picture of lugs. left lug has no marks .right side has all the finish wore off
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
uneven lug contact-bolt.jpg  
Old 12-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

I'd call Weatherby. They are usually quite responsive to questions, and happy to discuss it.