Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Tweaking bedding?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Tweaking bedding?

Awhile back I had a nice 6.5x47 Lapua built, and I havenít been too impressed with it so far. Itís been a solid MOA shooter, but thatís about it. The rifle was assembled by a reputable gunsmith and I donít expect that the accuracy issue lies with the quality of the components. However, I ended up bedding the stock myself, and thatís got me wondering if I should put in any effort to either tweak or re-do it. As far as the bedding goes, the rear tang and sides of the action are nicely bedded. However, the front of the recoil lug, where the material just sort of oozed forward, is uneven. Part of the bedding might have gone 1Ē ahead of the lug and another part is only ľĒ ahead. Iím curious if either removing this section all together and free floating the barrel, or removing this section and setting up a way to bed it consistently 1Ē forward of the recoil lug would be worthwhile or not? Any thoughts out there?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tweaking bedding?

I've been having better luck fully free floating the barrel and making sure there is no pressure on the lug, front, side or bottom. I would just carve that stuff out ahead of the lug and see.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

I have bedded them both ways...some with a 1" barrel pad and some without- so I don't really think it will do anything if you remove it. Have you talked to the smith that built it? I would pick his brain on it first....
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

I've got one more completely different load worked up to try this weekend. If I can't get something respectable, I'll start either chipping away some of the bedding under the barrel, or add more bedding to make it even all the way around the barrel.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

I tried a completely different load, and I got very consistent .75 MOA results. I think I'll shoot another 50 or so rounds of this load and hopefully the barrel will start to settle a little more. Then I'll head back to serious load development.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

I would think that cutting back the bedding to 1/4" and having it ending in a straight can only make it better. If you are still not happy with the outcome you can either try to re bed the front part or redoing the whole bedding job.
Also having the rifle checked out by your smith might reveal another problem. Some barrels (and shooters - if i have to confess) are just not capable of 1/2 minute of angle or better.