Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Trigger work Ruger SP101 22lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Trigger work Ruger SP101 22lr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Also consider that the instruction she got in her class was lacking. Not that the instruction was poor. There's only so much an instructor can cover in one class.

In more advanced gun fighting classes, students are taught to rack a semi-auto slide using one hand, using either the strong or weak hand. Even racking a slide with two hands is done more aggressively and reliably. I strongly suspect a good instructor could teach her to rack the slide on a medium frame 9 mm pistol.
The class size was too large, but its one of those things nobodies making money on. As much community service as anything. The number of women here applying for concealed carry, and purchasing handguns is WAY up, and these classes book up early every time. If I heard right they stopped individual classes because the demand was unmanageable. One thing I learned raising a daughter, was it helps if they see other women doing the same thing. When we found upper level fast pitch played by women it made more sense to the little leaguers. I have a friend thats a qualified LE instructor, and likely at some point we'll get together. I'm hoping life settles down now thats she's graduated, and time will permit more fun things. If we get the basics down I would gladly spring for one of the courses such as Thunder Ranch etc, and provide a serious
combat pistol for her.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
The last couple hammerless pistols I weighed all exceeded my 13 pound scale.
Just back from the smith, and this one is off the scale as well. Guesses on how much more were 15lbs plus. I left it to be improved.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Success! We had our first range trip and it went well. She had some success, and felt good about it. The new set of springs was a definite improvement. Thanks to all that weighed in.