Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

trigger pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 09:42 PM

trigger pull

What trigger pull is recomended for my remington 700 , 300rum.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: trigger pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp214parks View Post
What trigger pull is recomended for my remington 700 , 300rum.

Steady and smooth

I like a 2lb trigger on a general purpose rifle. That is a bit lighter than most like; I like a 1lb on a special purpose longrange rifle (which is WAY lighter than most are used to).

I've always tended toward lighter trigger pulls on all my firearms (shotguns, pistols, competition stuff etc.).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Steady and smooth

I like a 2lb trigger on a general purpose rifle. That is a bit lighter than most like; I like a 1lb on a special purpose longrange rifle (which is WAY lighter than most are used to).

I've always tended toward lighter trigger pulls on all my firearms (shotguns, pistols, competition stuff etc.).

AJ
Good advice!!!!!!

All you want is for the trigger to be light enough to supprise you when shooting without
anticipating it.

For a hunting rifle 2 to 2.5lbs is about the minimum safe weight for hunting.

Under controled conditions less is ok but you can't touch the trigger untill you are
ready to shoot.

Be carefull and don't adjust the sear and be sure and test the rifle by bumping the
but on the floor and set the safety on,pull the trigger and then flip the safety off
with a good snap to see if it will fire BEFORE YOU LOAD IT.

You probably all ready know and do all of this but it doesen't hurt to mention it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-26-2008, 01:37 PM

Closing the bolt SMARTLY as described in your owners manual & actuating the safety after cleaning & adjusting a pre 2006 OEM 40X/700 trigger assembly is the preferred method.
Do not rely on the safety,as it is mechanical-the trigger actuator employs all safety aspects of a firearm.

My match rifle trigger groups are adjusted in ounces & hunting rifle triggers are adjusted to 2 pounds.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

1 or 1.5 pounds suits me well on a field rifle. But I put 15,000 rounds a year through a 2lb trigger pistol shooting USPSA and needing every trigger break to be right on. If you can break a trigger without disturbing the sights shooting .25 second splits then breaking a trigger smoothly and slowly on a rifle gets much easier.

The most important thing is not the weight. A crisp "glass rod" break makes it much easier to get the shot to surprise you.