Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Trigger guard screw problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Trigger guard screw problem

I have 2 338 Rums... both are on 700 actions... I have been having acton screw(Floor Plate screw) problems... after about 5- 9 shots they loosen up.... I tighten them up very snug 40-50 inch lbs and scratch a line on the screw as to see if they move....every time I shoot, it may not move from the line but I check them and they are barley tight... I tighten them up more ( thus changing Point of Impact).. also the screws are becoming longer making the bolt hard to close. I have trimmed them both so the bolt closes..I know it is just wearing ito the Aluminum and making it worse... do you think that Loctite would fix or a small washer under the screw... appreciate all thoughts on this....
Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 AM
Gold Member

Re: Trigger guard screw problem

Sounds like the stock is "crushing". If it is a wood stock, pillars would solve the problem. If it is "tupperware" a new stock is in order.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:49 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Trigger guard screw problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramag45 View Post
I have 2 338 Rums... both are on 700 actions... I have been having acton screw(Floor Plate screw) problems... after about 5- 9 shots they loosen up.... I tighten them up very snug 40-50 inch lbs and scratch a line on the screw as to see if they move....every time I shoot, it may not move from the line but I check them and they are barley tight... I tighten them up more ( thus changing Point of Impact).. also the screws are becoming longer making the bolt hard to close. I have trimmed them both so the bolt closes..I know it is just wearing ito the Aluminum and making it worse... do you think that Loctite would fix or a small washer under the screw... appreciate all thoughts on this....
It does sound like a 'crush' problem. Pillars will solve stock 'crush', but, ya' can't fix aluminum (pot metal) with Locktite. Time for some of that 'milled steel' bottom metal if that's where your problem is.