Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

TRG-S 338 LM bottom metal Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: TRG-S 338 LM bottom metal Question

jpronto-Very good of you to post pics. This thread ought to be a sticky for M995 builds.

Do you have the colors/percentages used on that McMillan swirl pattern in the picture you posted by chance?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
jpronto-Very good of you to post pics. This thread ought to be a sticky for M995 builds.

Do you have the colors/percentages used on that McMillan swirl pattern in the picture you posted by chance?

When I have some time, I will try to dig up the information.

Regards,
Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

My TRG-S is in a McM A5.

The bottom metal is as pictured. You use the mag catch and the folded "spring" from the existing rifle. A bit fiddly and irritating to remove the mag catch and this leaves the old stock useless. I wish they would just provide the new parts.

Aside from that it's pretty good. As with the std factory stock the mag tends to drop out at the back and hang out of the bottom metal a bit. Sako could have done a better job on this and a true mag "box" to insert the mag into would have helped, but yes, Sako was saving cash. McM try to make the mag box area very tight to avoid this type of thing. It sort of works, but I bent the spring to try to avoid the problem. As I use the rifle as a single shot I haven't bothered much, but will look at this aspect later. A bit of silicon to create a jam fit may help, but it's not my way of fixing things on rifles.

This is my only complaint.

I'm going to change to a proper recoil lug later this year, as the standard molded in "lug" is a poor excuse for one and in 338 LM it will be worse than my 300 WM. I strongly adivse you try a washer type lug as on a Rem 700 and bed as per usual.

Not to highjack this... Autorotate, have you used the Jard and which did you get, a kit or complete trigger?

I like my TRG or actually my M995 very much...
LRHWAL
Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Silver Member

Sorry, didn't see it was a sticky.... hope the comments add something though!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

I have a chance to pick up a 995, but do not like the cheesy stock and bottom metal. I also don't like the detachable mag. It is not secure at the back, limits C.O.A.L.. and looks like an ugly growth on the bottom of the stock.

It's just possible that MK V bottom metal could be fitted to the action, and a MK V stock could be bedded to the action. I haven't done precise measurements because the rifle is not mine, but rough dimensions are 7.75" action screw spacing front to back screw. A MK V is approx 8.125". If the cheesy notch in the bottom of the receiver ring was dovetailed, a lug was fabricated and driven in, and then T.I.G. welded only on the ends, not front and back, (warpage) it could be drilled and tapped 1/4 x 28tpi in the middle of the lug for the front action screw. A MK V stock could be bedded in 2 steps from the existing flat bottom inlet to the round bottom 995. Sounds reasonable to me.

Mauser action screw spacing appears to be about 1/16" longer than the 995, and Rem L/A spacing is way short. I looked at the Rem first because of availability of stuff, the round bottom receiver, and the add-on recoil lug. Too short just doesn't work though.

Not sure if I'll pursue this rifle. It is in .416 Rem Mag, and I've got that caliber bracketed, so the rifle would be a donor to me. With a truly fine action, but crappy trim.

I got a 995 barrel off this site through the largesse of Autorotate before this came up, and checked it for crossover to a different action. As far as I can tell, it's a metric thread of 1.055" major diameter and pitch between 16 tpi and 18 tpi. My lathe has change gears and threading tables for metric threads, so a custom barrel in a boomer caliber could be fitted pretty painlessly. The bolt face also looks super easy to open up.

Bottom line, I'm very impressed with the potential of this action, but not the rifle as a whole. Too many compromises.

I'm chewing on it. Would be an interesting project. Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 04-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Bronze Member

I'll try to take a better pic once home from work, but consider the TRG stock -- it's a straight drop-in for the TRG-S action. You'll need a TRG trigger or you need to modify the TRG-S trigger to fit ( on TRG the safety is inside the trigger group, on TRG-S it's in the traditional top location ) but if you decide to fit the original trigger, you'll also be needing a custom trigger guard. Also, M995 magazines will not fit in the TRG chassis. I went for the TRG trigger and magazine route.

The TRG chassis adds a pound in weight which I consider a fair trade as far as improved ergonomics go; My M995 was a straight shooter already but I would throw a flyer every once in a while ( putting a 5-shot group from sub- - MOA to "just" sub-MOA ). With the TRG stock accuracy feels more repeatable, as this crow (368 yards) would testify. The range could've been double, no problem.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

You should tighten your belt next time, maybe the recoil won't blow you outa your pants.

Festus