Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Torx Action Screws?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

Torx Action Screws?

Today, I began blueprinting a customer's Howa 1500 rifle in .204... When I started to disassemble, I noticed that the action screws were stainless Torx screws! I absolutely loved this! I hate holding my breath tightening up hex screws to 65 in/lbs on my bolt rifles.
Unfortunately, I cannot find Torx action screws for sale anywhere in 1/4-28 thread (for Remington 700)... And this Howa has metric sized threads.
Anyone know of a source for these? Or even Torx headed blanks that I can thread myself?
Thanks!!

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson
Old 03-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Torx Action Screws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Today, I began blueprinting a customer's Howa 1500 rifle in .204... When I started to disassemble, I noticed that the action screws were stainless Torx screws! I absolutely loved this! I hate holding my breath tightening up hex screws to 65 in/lbs on my bolt rifles.
Unfortunately, I cannot find Torx action screws for sale anywhere in 1/4-28 thread (for Remington 700)... And this Howa has metric sized threads.
Anyone know of a source for these? Or even Torx headed blanks that I can thread myself?
Thanks!!
try Karr or Premier. If it's made one of them will carry it. Karr is the number one supplier to the automotive world, and cars are full of Torx screws. Also these two have an extensive dealer network, and are by far the two best screws money can buy.
gary
Old 03-09-2014, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

I used Google and found lots of sources.
But they may be too short.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Thanks!!
If you can't find the Torx screws in metric, Try the socket head screws. I change out all of the old
flat head strews with the socket head so I can get good torque numbers with my torque wrench.

Sometimes I just buy the plain socket head and custom fit the heads(Some have bevels and some are flat on the bottom.

They work just like the Torx head and you don't have to worry about skipping off the screw and marking an expensive stock.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Gold Member

Damascus, try your local nut&bolt dealer. I replaced the action screws on all my Weatherbys for a couple dollars with stainless hex head.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Will this work for you?

Button Socket Head 1/4-28 Screws 304 Stainless Steel fasteners

About 1/2 way down the page are the 2" and longer.

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 03-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

That's the correct thread pitch - but those as still 5/32 hex screws.. I'm looking for some with a T40 (+/- 10) Torx style head.
I agree - first thing I do to my rifles is remove the slot head action screws and replace them with stainless hex screws, only problem is on some of my rifles (Savages are the worst), the 5/32 hex can have just enough wiggle room that under high torque (60+ in/lbs), the hex hole strips. The Torx heads can take the heavy load more repeatedly without getting worn out/loose - same deal as scope base/ring screws.

Thanks for the replies, and I am checking those 2 sources right now. So far, I have found one stainless Torx 1/4-28 bolt, but the threads go all the way up the bolt, and I'd prefer to have something with a bare shaft except for the last 1/3" of screw (so the threads don't mar up the aluminum pillars on my B&C and H-S stocks).

Thanks again!

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson