Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Top Gunsmiths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

My short list, a few of these men were already mentioned. My father and I own or have shot rifles built by these men and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Random order:

My list for what ever its worth:

AR Tactical
Chris Matthews
Shawn Carlock
Nathan Dagley
Ray Romain
Kirby Allen

AG
Old 10-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

We were given two ears and one mouth !

Hmmm that tells me that we are supposed to listen twice as much
as we talk.

I think I'll set this one out.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM
Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Wildcat,

Isn't Richard a good smith. Not a suprise he is on the list from what you have been saying about his work......

What are you reading into my post my friend?

Again, your list is filled with very good smiths, I am not offended not to make your list of your preferred smiths.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

These types of threads always end up in the toilet as someone always gets the ole underwear in a wad..... I usually am in the middle of most things but not this one.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

I have had guns built by Darrel Holland , Charley Sisk , Mike Bryant and reciently Nathen Dagley. Three of these guys had built me fine rifles that shot better than I could shoot them and thats in the low.2's and some ,1's one rifle that the fourth smith built was very dissapointing , the machine work was poor and the accuracy was in the .5" range with ALOT of work. If I have another gun built before I can get access to the machines to do it myself I'll more than likely have Nathen Dagley build it , the customer service and turn around time was second to none and the machine work was as good as I have ever seen .. I have seen a gun built by Greg Tannel and it was very nice but it took almost a year to get it.

A list that has the "top" smiths on it realy doesen't mean squat , what are these guys measured by? I'm a nobody as far as custom gun builders are concerned but I will put a gun built by me up against any other gun builders in the world , so if I build a gun that out shoots one built by one of the guys on your list does that make me the best ? NO , that means that I probably got a better barrel or some other minute BS.

Anyway I'm now sorry I wasted my time here
Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 PM
SPONSOR

My most accurate specialty handguns have been built by Kirby Allen, Greg Tannel, and Chunk Youngblood. There are some other guys on this forum and not on this forum who are great smiths, but these are the ones I have used personally. All three of these men have been very helpful to me through the years on a number of issues-Thanks Guys for building some great rigs!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM

I'm new here and have read more than I have posted. This thread is very interesting as to the impressions several smiths have left on several different people. Interesting enough that I thought I would speak up. Kirby Allen, your dead on sir and your reputation has preceded you, you have my utmost respect. I've been involved in LR hunting/shooting for many years, I've used several different smiths and known a few more. If your building a Hunting Rig Kirby is a fine smith, I've spoken with Chris Matthews several times and a friend is having a rifle built by him as I type. Shawn Carlock, well enough said, his reputation speaks for it's self. I now build my own rifles and can tell you, use whom ever your comfortable with and trust. All the names mentioned are very capable smiths. Since Kirby Allen and Shawn Carlock post here and are always eager to assist and share their knowledge, I'd say look no farther, you certainly won’t get a better job. Good luck to all.