Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Timney trigger problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Silver Member

Timney trigger problems

I installed a timney trigger on a new sendero about a month ago and realized today that when the gun is held upside down or straight up in the air the firing pin is released when the bolt is closed when safety is in fire position (the gun was not loaded when I discovered this). Never releases unintentionally when held in normal positions and the bolt is worked. It can be jarred off by slamming the butt of the gun on the ground but it has to be slammed very hard, hard enough that it doesn't concern me. No unintentional firings either when the gun is pointed straight up, bolt worked, then taken off safe. So what would cause the gun to fire without pulling the trigger only when bolt is worked with safety off and the gun pointed straight up or held upside down?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Timney trigger problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Sendero View Post
I installed a timney trigger on a new sendero about a month ago and realized today that when the gun is held upside down or straight up in the air the firing pin is released when the bolt is closed when safety is in fire position (the gun was not loaded when I discovered this). Never releases unintentionally when held in normal positions and the bolt is worked. It can be jarred off by slamming the butt of the gun on the ground but it has to be slammed very hard, hard enough that it doesn't concern me. No unintentional firings either when the gun is pointed straight up, bolt worked, then taken off safe. So what would cause the gun to fire without pulling the trigger only when bolt is worked with safety off and the gun pointed straight up or held upside down?
It sounds like a sear adjustment problem. but if you are not familiar with adjusting triggers you need to send it back to timney for repair or replace.

Some times dirty triggers will act this way but a new trigger shouldn't.

If you adjusted the trigger pull you may have adjusted the sear by mistake.( it happens ).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 02-14-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

In addition to the sear, check to make sure that the trigger spring is exerting enough force on the trigger. If the pull weight is too low, the spring might not be long enough.

You should also call MSNBC, and complain about the upside down thing.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
It sounds like a sear adjustment problem. but if you are not familiar with adjusting triggers you need to send it back to timney for repair or replace.

Some times dirty triggers will act this way but a new trigger shouldn't.

If you adjusted the trigger pull you may have adjusted the sear by mistake.( it happens ).

J E CUSTOM
I was wondering if sear problems would cause that. I did adjust the weight but I'm 100% sure I only adjusted the weight. I contacted Timney about it to see what they had to say but they haven't returned my call yet. Thanks for the help and I will post an update when I get this resolved.

Last edited by WV Sendero; 02-14-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Talked to Kevin at Timney and he was very helpful. Turns out it was just set a hair too light. 1/4 turn in fixed the problem. He explained why this could occur in some positions but not others and offered to walk me through any other adjustments if they had to be made.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

That's exactly what I was going to say in response to your problem, but by the time I read through and got down here to post you had it figured out!!! They are a good trigger, but like everything else, you need to follow the directions to a T so that everything is set properly and make the checks they tell you to so nothing bad happens. I have been very happy with the one I put in my 03A3 about 10 years ago.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
That's exactly what I was going to say in response to your problem, but by the time I read through and got down here to post you had it figured out!!! They are a good trigger, but like everything else, you need to follow the directions to a T so that everything is set properly and make the checks they tell you to so nothing bad happens. I have been very happy with the one I put in my 03A3 about 10 years ago.
Yeh, I just got a little light on it because I didn't have a pull gauge. I really happy with mine too, much better than that x-mark junk that came on my sendero.