Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Tikka recoil lug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tikka recoil lug

If your rebarreling your action you can have them install a rem style regoil lug if its a t3. Manners makes a stock for them and so does mcmillan. More options than people think. You can also have your smith make a integrated front pillar and recessed recoil lug instead of the L lug. That's what I'm doing on my tikka 595.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
If your rebarreling your action you can have them install a rem style regoil lug if its a t3. Manners makes a stock for them and so does mcmillan. More options than people think. You can also have your smith make a integrated front pillar and recessed recoil lug instead of the L lug. That's what I'm doing on my tikka 595.
Manners makes a tactical stock to fit the t3 lite but not a hunter stock. ( I just spoke with them). And assuming someone installs a rem type recoil lug, then I also assume they'd then have to get a stock for a remington because the lug would be forward of the existing recoil lug slot on the factory stock.

I am having my t3 rebarreled as we speak. I wished I had thought about a replacement recoil lug prior to my order. The order is underway now so it's too late to change.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Install a remington recoil lug and mill the factory stock (if you want to keep it) to accept the recoil lug and bed the action/lug in.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsrgood View Post
Manners makes a tactical stock to fit the t3 lite but not a hunter stock. ( I just spoke with them). And assuming someone installs a rem type recoil lug, then I also assume they'd then have to get a stock for a remington because the lug would be forward of the existing recoil lug slot on the factory stock.

I am having my t3 rebarreled as we speak. I wished I had thought about a replacement recoil lug prior to my order. The order is underway now so it's too late to change.
That's where your wrong. Its very easy. All you do is tell manners or mcmillan that you want a rem style lug and they inlet for that and don't inlet for the L shaped stock lug. A remington and tikka action are night and day different. Manners will make most of there stocks for a tikka but they have to build up the rear tang and after they do that you can only get a painted finish. They charge an extra $55 for the service. With mcmillan they will do any of there sako stocks (not the ones labeled sako 75 but the other sako stocks, sako hunter, sako varmint etc) and their A3 stock. The mcmillan sako hunter stock sounds like a better fit for you. I'm getting a sako hunter stock in the molded in color for a tikka 595 in left hand as we speak. Should be here in aug. I wanna build a t3 left hand in 7mm lrm next. Don't know what stock I wanna use yet.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

You should call your gunsmith on the rem recoil lug. Its pretty easy for them to do even after your barrel is done and installed. Its not a hard process.