Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Throat length ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Throat length ?

Would this measurement give me my throat length if I seat my bullets to just touch the lands. Measured base of case to ogive with a comparator ( ogive is just touching lands) 2.927. My cases measure 2.615 after trimming. 2.927-2.615 = .312. Is .312 my throat length. This should give me the length from the top of the case mouth to the lands since the ogive of my bullet is just touching the lands.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Throat length ?

It is possible but not very accurate.

It would be best to buy a gauge that is designed to do this. (It would be more accurate).

Seating bullets against the lands accuratly can be tricky.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

To many unknown factors, it will get you close but not really, for one, the clearence between where your brass neck ends verses how deep the neck was cut in the chamber. But knowing the exact freebore is for why, if the bullet has plenty of neck depth and its touching the land or where ever you want it, the freebore is about right. Unless your trying to order another reamer and you need to tell the manufacturer what freebore you want so it matches your current chamber. What is the reason your trying to fiquire your exact throat length?

Best of Luck

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj-pratt View Post
To many unknown factors, it will get you close but not really, for one, the clearence between where your brass neck ends verses how deep the neck was cut in the chamber. But knowing the exact freebore is for why, if the bullet has plenty of neck depth and its touching the land or where ever you want it, the freebore is about right. Unless your trying to order another reamer and you need to tell the manufacturer what freebore you want so it matches your current chamber. What is the reason your trying to fiquire your exact throat length?

Best of Luck
I am having the gun rebarreled, the gunsmith says his reamer has a 0 throat. I am assuming 0 throat means the reamer is to exact Sammi specs. 2.927 is as far as I can seat the bullets out and it to still function through the mag box. It also leaves enough room in the case for the slower powder that I want to use. I made two dummy rounds with the bullets seated at my desired length and will ship them with the rifle.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

That is correct your smith will cut the throat after he is done with the chamber. I like the dummy rounds to be unfired just to make sure there is no resistence sliding them in that new tight chamber because they are the guage to measure the throat. You would be suprised how many times a fired round won't go in the new chamber.

Looks like your on the right path enjoy

Elk Meadow Performance
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Zero throat is not saami. It is a no throat reamer meaning no throat at all. It will require the use of a throat cutter to get any throat at all.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Good catch Hired Gun I breezed right over him stating sammi specs, there is surely nothing sammi about no throat.

Elk Meadow Performance