Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Thoughts on a Savage Switch barrel Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: Thoughts on a Savage Switch barrel Build

How about the Desert Tactical Arms (DTA) switch barrel set-up???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I agree with the gunsmith who wasn't after your

If you want a real switch barrel rifle, save up for a Blaser.

-- richard
Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

There have been some interesting comments on this subject and some should be addressed
so the original poster can weigh all of the pros and cons of such a build.

First; A smith that tells you build two rifles because he can make more money does not have
your best interest in mind , Most GOOD smiths will make recommendations based on the accuracy
required and the total cost to the customer and then build what the customer wants.

For all out accuracy it is best to assemble a rifle (No matter what brand and type) and work up
loads, fine tune the bedding,trigger,loading process and all of the other things that go into a
accurate rifle including shooter skill.

Pre chambered barrels have allways been a sore subject with me because they are just a
production barrel with a name and there is no guarantee of the quality of the workmanship.
and it is just a mater of luck if you get a good one (Just like factory rifles).

I also agree that if you build a switch barrel setup and find that the one rifle shoots really
well it is a hard thing to unscrew the barrel and place another on in and risk never finding
that accuracy again.

It sounds attractive to have two or three rifles for the price of one, but in reality they are not
that much if any cheaper in the long run, Just different.

In my opinion. if a person needs a rifle for different uses he has two ways to go, build one
that will fill both needs or build two different rifles that will fit the need better. There are many
duel role rifle/cartrige combinations that will do this unless you want to hunt P-Dogs and Bear.

Again, this is just for discussion and this is just my opinion based of my experance with both
systems.

In the end you should build what you want and live with the outcome, Good or Bad.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

JE Custom is correct. But, if you are going to do a switch barrel on even a savage I would say to hell with the barrel nut and have all the barrels done remington style with a shoulder, and have a recoil lug pinned to the action. So long as you are not using the barrels on another action it is the quickest easiest way to switch barrels, and you do not have to haul your go gauges around with you. The barrel nut only facilitates using the same barrel on multiple actions, nothing more.

I would also suggest using a stock that has a wide enough barrel channel to allow you to remove the barrels without removing the action from the stock. Use a rear entry action wrench and a barrel vise to swap barrels without ever removing the action from the stock. I have never done a savage on this configuration but have done several with custom actions and it works great being able to swap barrels at a match.

Maybe even a better way to do it would be as a glue in sans a recoil lug.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreHit View Post
How about the Desert Tactical Arms (DTA) switch barrel set-up???
Exactly. Blaser... DTA... Other???

Those are shooting systems that are designed to retain a fairly steady zero across barrel changes and they do only take a few minutes to switch out.

I'm guessing Blaser is better at retaining zero than DTA in that the scope is attached to the barrel. But, that means more scopes and more $$$.

My brother has a couple of Blasers and has good results. But, I still wouldn't swap the barrel and shoot at a deer without checking it on paper. I went the exact opposite direction and bought a lathe so that I can rebarrel any of my rifles. I can and do swap barrels. But, when I get one setup just right, I leave it alone until there's a real good reason to change.

I'm not suggesting you can't or shouldn't do it with a Savage or 700.

You may be well satisfied with the results and the effort required. Just don't kid yourself thinking that you get instant precision like you should expect from systems costing 5 or ten times as much.

In the end, every guy that owns a Savage can claim that he owns a switch barrel rifle even though he hasn't decided which barrel to purchase next. Then again, so can Rem, Win, Sako, owners, etc. It's merely a function of the amount of time and effort to switch the barrel and restore your zero and your precision.

-- richard