Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Thinking about getting some big tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Thinking about getting some big tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0pph View Post
Ok, Well ive never been in a machine shop, not even seen a metal lathe or mill in real life. For milling i use a drill press, the stop and a weight hung off of the wheel. As for lathe work, all i do is wood turning. I wish i could turn my woodshop into a metal shop Anyone want to trade straight across :P
I worked in a precious metals machine shop once for a while. Did conventional lathe and milling on platinum mostly, parts for Star Wars program in the Reagan era. Never ran CNC but mebbe learn one day. First thing you need to get and know where to look in for info (mainly speeds/feeds) is the "Machinery's Handbook". Not cheap but no machinist worth his salt would run without one. I'm on my second one( first went in 1972 flood). For rifle barels you need a long bed and decent swing. Some of Grizzers machines are marked for gunsmithing tho the higher priced ones look the most capable to me. Maybe find a used one on Craigslist or something.

NRA Life Member