Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Switch Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Silver Member

Re: Switch Barrels

But that is a one time cost a gunsmith is over & over every time.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I was talking to SGR Custom Rifles about a switch Barrel. I have a .243AI on a Remington 700 SA ..............McMillan Stock, Jewell Trigger, Sako Extractor. Having a 7mm-08 AI Barrel installed that is the same contour sure seems like a interesting way to have Two Custom Rifes for a whole lot less than two different ones.......Just changing barrels for different applications. Dosent do much for the bottom end of a Custom Gunsmith. I would think they would talk you out of it, but Stan at SGR Custom sugjested it to me. He is one of the listed Smiths @ www.6mmbr.com

Has anyone ever seen a swithch barrel, used one, Pro's and Con's.........??

This is not meant to be negative, It is just a comment.

The first thing that happens if you talk someone out of what they want you end up with a very unhappy customer.
You should advise and talk about all of the pitfalls if the person wants to go a certain way but not tell him unless it is
unsafe. Call it a cop out but if a smith builds what the person wants after being told of the possible problems
they should not have any complaints with the Smith.

I tried this a long time ago and found it to be to much trouble for the "Savings".

I also tried the contender way and saw no advantage in it. After a while I ended up with almost
a dozen complete pistols. Now I am down to a select few that I like to shoot/hunt with.

The rifles rifles definitely did not impress me. They were never ready to just grab and shoot,
and it seamed like the one I wanted to use was the one that was apart and I would have to
tear down the one that was shooting good,assemble the one I wanted to use and then re sight
it in before going hunting/shooting and hope the accuracy was still there.

Everyone should probably try the switch barrel route at least once and then decide for themselves.

It was definitely not for me. I would rather have one rifle ready to go than two that were not.

Just my Opinion for what it is worth.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 07-05-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Here's one for ya. I've got a barrel nut for a remington 700. Same style as on savage, just threaded for remington barrels. If you would be interested in it I'll sell it to ya. I myself am a one gun man. (700LTR .308) Some day I might make a dedicated varmint rifle, but it does everything I could ever want it to do without packing a wagon out in the field to haul it around.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

How about a picture and price?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Can do.

Pacnor sells them for $65 and then shipping gets added into that. I'll sell it for $60, and I pay the shipping. It has never been unwraped from the packaging and it has some sort of packaging grease so it doesnt rust.

Last edited by crowsnest2002; 07-10-2011 at 07:55 PM.