Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

switch barrel savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: switch barrel savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
The whole idea of sticking the nut to the barrel is rediculous. That's what shouldered barrels are for. Then you'd never be able to swap them to a different action.

It takes about two extra minutes to set the headspace correctly. That way you can swap them amongst other actions or sell them to someone else with a Savage action.

It's a shortcut that doesn't save anything.
+1

A smith can rebarrel a Savage with a shoulder just like a Remington or Winchester. But, then it won't be universally interchangeable with other Savages.

Even with a shoulder, I highly recommend checking with HS gauges just to be extra safe.

-- richard
Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 AM

The reason I was wanting to set this gun up as switch barrel is that I would NOT nhave to remove the scope or remove the barreled action from the stock. When you do these things most for the time you will not go back to the same POI.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr28763 View Post
The reason I was wanting to set this gun up as switch barrel is that I would NOT nhave to remove the scope or remove the barreled action from the stock. When you do these things most for the time you will not go back to the same POI.
Not to sound harsh but there is no way that barrels of different calibers could be removed from an action and interchanged with another barrel and use the same zero as the previous barrel. In fact it would be a pretty remote chance that you could remove a barrel and screw it back in and not need at least a little adjustment even if nothing else was touched.

It's my guess that the reason you have not had a positive response from any of the 'smiths is because you are asking the impossible.

Bob
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Different cartriges,chambers and calibers creates different harmonics even though they are
the same contour and length because of bore size,chamber size, bullet size and powder charge
so even if the two barrels are set up perfict they will need to be zeroed each time they are
installed.

Also each time you make up barrel to reciever threads there is some upsetting and therefore
a change in the orientation of parts causing different harmonics and a possible change in POI.

There is nothing wrong with doing a switch barrel rig but it is not just a simple as Badda Bing,
Badda Boom. considerations must be made and all precautions must be taken to prevent a
bad experance Hunting or shooting.

Just some advice. THERE IS NO FREE RIDE.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Setting the head space with a go no go gauge is easy enough. Can be done with a good fired case, then double checked with go gauge. If your worried about setup, pay a gunsmith to explain and show you how its done.

Years ago I would take a extra barrel with me Prairie Dog hunting. If and when I ran out of ammo, I changed barrels.
I change barrels a lot on my hunting rifle to set up for Varmint shooting. I use a 30-06, .308, .260 .243, 22-250 A.I., and a 22-243 A.I. depending on the caliber mood I am in.

The JB weld or weld option would work if you never change the bolt or bolt head, or bolt head spacing, but I will just use the head spacing technique.

KBR
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Bronze Member

G'Day Fella's,

I design and manufacture a number of firearm accessories, some of which attach to the muzzle of a firearm.
To reduce my reliance on humping around a swag of different rifles to undertake testing of these accessories, I recently purchased a New Savage Model 12, Stainless Dual Port action.

Once I have received all the various parts for this project, my plan is to have a series of different complete bolt heads (to suit- .223, PPC/M43, .308/06 & H&H Mag), barrels and barrel nuts, wrench etc that I am able to swap and switch around!

I plan to then use this one action/rifle combo, to undertake most of my muzzle accessory testing.

The ability to swap different Bolt Heads, Barrels, Bolt handles (and also from RH to LH bolt handle), really was a bit of a reality check about the Individual or Team, that originally designed the Savage 110 action!
Man, these blokes really were thinking, Outside the Square!!!

Anyway, if I can work out how to post images on this forum I'll do that, as you know what they say about a picture........................................

Doh!
Homer
Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
One of the great advantages of quaility modern scopes with picatinny rails is that you can swap them in minutes from one rifle to another, bore sight, fire one shot to get on paper, make one adjustment to set the correct zero, and fire a second shot to confirm.

Even with a well done Savage switch barrel, or a Blaser with the scope affixed to each barrel, you'll need to confirm your zero with one or more shots when swapping barrels.

If swapping barrels is your only avenue to enjoy/explore a variety of cartridges, then go for it. But, you need to have realistic expectations.

Happy hunting!
Richard