Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

STOCKS, fiberglass or chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

STOCKS, fiberglass or chassis?

from the gunsmithing perspective, if the SA rem 700 were yours and money was no problem, what would you choose..?

all the aluminum chassis are almost over a thou, and the fiberglass stocks with all the work on them are almost at that price, what would you choose?

of all the current options XLR,CEG, etc...i'm leaning towards the chassis, but I've never hd the experience with these..

or maybe a tube gun?

love tactical look.

Joe marin'e
Old 08-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: STOCKS, fiberglass or chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSE A. MARINE View Post
from the gunsmithing perspective, if the SA rem 700 were yours and money was no problem, what would you choose..?

all the aluminum chassis are almost over a thou, and the fiberglass stocks with all the work on them are almost at that price, what would you choose?

of all the current options XLR,CEG, etc...i'm leaning towards the chassis, but I've never hd the experience with these..

or maybe a tube gun?

love tactical look.

Joe marin'e
Do you want an 8 pound rifle or an 18 pound rifle? Are you hunting sheep at high altitudes, prairie dogs in the Dakota's or Taliban in Afghanistan? Eight pounds is just fine with me. 18 pounds go from the truck to the shooting bench and back.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: STOCKS, fiberglass or chassis?

rifle is a 308 win with a heavy barrel for shooting competition/silhouettes or varmint shooting, so I would love if the rifle with either stock weight no more than 12 pounds with a scope.

from some brochures Ive read the aluminum chassis are not that heavy...but Ive never seen one.

please help.
Joe