Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

stock spiderweb effect

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 08:18 AM

stock spiderweb effect

just wondering does anyone know how to do the spiderweb effect that they have on some factory stocks. iv been doing quite a bit of stock mods and paint but i have not figured out how to do it any help would be appreciated. only really want to know for my own paint jobs

eg. weatherby accumark stocks

cheers

rob
Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: stock spiderweb effect

Krylon Webbing Spray paint

Krylon: Products: Webbing Spray

The stuff works well and is fairly durable, but I would still shoot a coat of clear over it. I've used the black web over Duracoat OD and then put the Duracoat clear over it. It turned out well.

You can find it as most craft stores.

TAC
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Make sure you use a clear that is compatible with the paint. I used to be auto-body by trade and even painted stocks for gunsmiths building bench rest rifles. The clear will build your area out so you dont feel it, if needed you might have to sand the clear with some micro-fine paper and re clear depending on finish you want.

mike
Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 AM
quicktimeracecars

You will have to modify your paint guns air cap. It will need to shoot a straighter stream of air so instead of atomizing the paint it basically slings it on to the stock. You will have to turn the material way down and pattern test on some masking paper to get exactly what you are looking for. If you can get your gun to do this then you can use any paint you want. On hunting or tactical type guns I stick with a single stage urethane and add a flatting agent. If it is a target gun then you can bling it up with pearls and candies and graphics.

Hope this helps
Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 AM

thanx heaps guys any info is great

thanx again

rob