close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Stock Reinforcement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Stock Reinforcement

Quote:
All that's available here is short strand fiberglass bodyfiller.
You're right in thinking that it's not what you need. It cures way too fast to work with, and won't stick to the tupperware stock, one twist and it pops out like an icecube in a tray. Try to find the Devcon, I've had good luck with Marinetex as well, but like JE said, I gave up on the stock, Although I didn't go as far as Chad went.

Zeb

Unread 05-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

I made this product specifically for plastic stocks:
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/matchgrade.html
I have put the product on Ebay. It sells well here in New Zealand but I think the postage might be off putting to U.S folk. I have never had a problem with it popping out of the stock. Have a look at the instructions/ online tutorial for methods. I need to get off my butt and put some proper advertising on this site however I have not been able to find any costing faqs. Google alone costs $20 per day so I have been a little hesitant about further online advertising- although, I really do enjoy the LRH site immensely.
Nathan.
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

These pics might help. Piece of 3/8" U channel aluminum. Rough everything up, apply marine tex/whatever you are using, and go for it.

I did drill the hole for the front screw eye for sling/bipod. The stock does NOT bend.

The channel is actually under and past the recoil lug.

Do all the trim to fit of the aluminum before you glue the channel in.

Last edited by acloco; 05-02-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

I picked up some disgarded broken carbon arrows at the local public range to bed into the rifle. Most cases I would buy a new better stock but one particular gun has sentimental value to keep her factory looking.
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:20 PM

sorry...
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

acloco, what you did there looks good. I really liked the way you got the rod under the recoil lug for more strength. That's what I'm trying to do the pieces of steel I have cut for the stock. Hopefully mine will turn out fairly strong too. I thought of using a piece of bar stock but decided that two rods would be a bit easier for me to fit in there.

Kobra, I thought of the carbon arrows. I was going to give it a try but it looked like they would be a touch too large in diameter to fit under the recoil lug like I wanted. I completely understand about the sentimental reasons as well. My Browning will probably never be touched. It'll basically stay exactly as it was when my Dad gave it to me years ago.

Kiwi Nate, you're right about shipping. It'd be cheaper for me to try ago a different route than ordering the product you mentioned. Shipping takes it to a bit more than something like Devcon would be.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I do appreciate it. We all started gun tinkering somewhere, I just got a late start at it.

Steadyrest1, why are you sorry???