Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Stock lengthening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Stock lengthening

I recently purchased a Bell and Carlson stock from someone and when I received it, it appears to have been cut down a little bit. Since this has happened, is there a way that I can add or mold on something to lengthen out the but of the stock for a better feel when sitting behind it?

All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Don
Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stock lengthening

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedhunt View Post
I recently purchased a Bell and Carlson stock from someone and when I received it, it appears to have been cut down a little bit. Since this has happened, is there a way that I can add or mold on something to lengthen out the but of the stock for a better feel when sitting behind it?

All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Don

Normal length of pull is between 13.5 and 14 inches.

If it has a thin (1/2'' or less) you can change to a 1'' and gain some.

The next thing I would recommend would be an adjustable but plate. These are normally used
when shooting different position matches (Standing, sitting and prone where the length of pull
changes as much as 2.5 ".

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

J E Custom, thank you very much for the valued information. That was a thought that I had, but wasn't sure if it is a recommended way to go for a hunting rifle. I will definitely look into this style.

Don
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Get your money back if you can. If the stock had been modified you should have been made aware of it before purchase. If you looked at it and did not notice you own it. A stock that is screwed up and does not fit is junk so you really can't hurt it by adding something to get the proper length.

When I used to backpack hunt I used a pull of 13 inches as I shot with the pack on with the rifle against the shoulder pad. Maybe that is why its a little short??

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

Thank you Jim...I wasn't made aware of it and am pretty sure that there will be no refund...I think I will take it over to my gun smith and discuss with him my options.