Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Stock Fitting Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Stock Fitting Help

Got a used Bell & Carlson Light Varmint stock to throw on my Remmy 700 SPS Varmint, trial fitted then decided to bed it. After everythign was all said and done I re-assembled, everything looked good except the trigger guard... It as if the slot that the bottom plate goes onto isnt center, and when I put the bottom plate on and everything the trigger guard is rubbing on the side of the trigger assembly (mainy the bolt release) when you push in the bolt release it stick in and wont come back out unless you pull on it a little. What the best way to go about fixing this? Carve out and rebed with the action moved over? Or shave a splash off the of the trigger guard?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Gold Member

Re: Stock Fitting Help

Sounds like you need to look closer at the point where the bolt release lever is binding. If it binds on the trigger guard, remove some material form it. If it binds on the stock, inside the trigger slot, remove some material from it. If the bolt stop itself is binding, remove some of your bedding, in that area. I'm betting on the third reason.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Its actually the bolt release lever binding on the trigger guard...
Old 03-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Then open up the slot on the trigger guard. Make sure that the stock material is not "pushing" the lever over onto the trigger guard.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

It sounds like the action rotated a little in the stock during the bedding.

To find out get a long 1/4 28 screw (3 or 4 inches) and screw it in the front action
screw with the stock on then look at the clearance around the pillar hole. if this is the
problem then all you have to do is clearance the recoil lug on the sides and bottom and
rotate it true.

If you are carefull you will not hurt the bedding where it counts.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

Cool, thanks for the tip. I am outta town on business but I will check it out Wednesday evening when I get back. My new DNZ 1 piece mount should be in then also.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
It sounds like the action rotated a little in the stock during the bedding.

To find out get a long 1/4 28 screw (3 or 4 inches) and screw it in the front action
screw with the stock on then look at the clearance around the pillar hole. if this is the
problem then all you have to do is clearance the recoil lug on the sides and bottom and
rotate it true.

If you are carefull you will not hurt the bedding where it counts.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM
Figured the problem out, thanks, you just about hit the nail on the head. Some bedding compound actually got down into the alum pillars between the studs and the pillar hole, it made everything cock just a splash. Ran a drill bit through the pillar hole, that was the same size, it took out all the excess bedding now everything mates up the way its supposed too. Thanks.

Heres the finished product...