Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

sticky check piece

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Silver Member

sticky check piece

i have a stock that i had to add material to to get a proper site pic when i first did it it was fine it is sticky and i was wondering how should i polish it to get a surface that will not stick to my face. i used an epoxy putty to build up the stock then i rasped then sanded it to the contour i wanted then painted it.
any help is greatly appreciated
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: sticky check piece

Russ, it almost sounds like the paint you used isn't fully curing and may be the result of the epoxy putty underneath not letting it cure. Check the putty container and see if there's any reccomendation as to how to prep putty surface prior to painting ie sealer or primer coat. If you don't have the container or it doesn't say anyhting then you may want to contact the epoxy manufacturer and explain the problem and ask their suggestions on how to seal or what type of paint to use. This is my best guess but it does sound like the paint you used isn't fully able to cure. PS also look at the paint container to see what surfaces it's recomended for...it may not be made for epoxy. Let us know what you find out.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

as far as i can tell the paints and epoxy should have cured so i am going to just try sanding it smooth and trying agen
Old 07-31-2010, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ M View Post
as far as i can tell the paints and epoxy should have cured so i am going to just try sanding it smooth and trying agen

Russ.

Brownells sells Alumma Hyde and it is a epoxy based paint and should work.
It takes about 3 or 4 days to cure so if you use it ,let it stand for 4 or 5 days.

It comes in several colors.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

Smell the part. If it smells sweet or like a korean nail salon then its not cured.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Does it have to smell like a korean nail salon or any nail salon???