Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Sticky chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Gold Member

Sticky chamber?

I had the barrel replaced on my BLR 7mm-08. It is a Krieger 21" factory contour. The chamber was cut to match spec, throated for an overall length of 2.790 with 145 Speer spitzer to touch the lands. The rifle shoots well with the bullet @.010 off the lands. I'm shooting H4350 BR-2's 46.0gr running about 2750 over the chrono.

After firing the cartridge requires considerable force for ejection of spent cartridge that I have to stand up from bench under thigh the stock and pull the lever 2/3 times to remove. This load should be below max. The primers are not flattened. Case head xpansion is not over spec. Looking for what may be the cause of this 'stickyness'. It does not happen on all of the cartridges. Norma brass is used. I also have the same issue with Rem brass.

The rifle shoots under 1/2" at 100 with the 145 or the Hornady 139's. Any corrective suggestions or input would be appreciated. This is my Pa woods rifle.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sticky chamber?

What does the brass look like? does it have any scratches on it , rings in it? , look at the neck could it be a little to long and be getting into the barrel to far? a tiny bit goes a long way here and with a match cut chamber their is often less room for error

that load isin't "hot" , but it is on the upper side in the max range , does this problem occure do with a grain less powder? The Norma brass is soft and I would suspect that could be an issue but if its doing it with Rem brass alos I'm not sure?

The bolt cycles fine on and empty chamber?

Have you called the smith and asked hiss oppinion?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

If you leave the spent round in the camber for a minute does it extract easier?

Sounds like you need a Badger bolt knob.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
What does the brass look like? does it have any scratches on it , rings in it? , look at the neck could it be a little to long and be getting into the barrel to far? a tiny bit goes a long way here and with a match cut chamber their is often less room for error

that load isin't "hot" , but it is on the upper side in the max range , does this problem occur do with a grain less powder? The Norma brass is soft and I would suspect that could be an issue but if its doing it with Rem brass alos I'm not sure?

The bolt cycles fine on and empty chamber?

Have you called the smith and asked hiss oppinion?
James,

The brass looks ok, no rings or scratches. The brass is trimmed to min length, but it is something I can look for as it may be too long.
I have not tried a lower load below 46gr as this is the velocity I was looking to achieve with that rifle. At 47grains they all stuck but the load velocity was over 2800fps. The old factory shot a little faster actually at the upper end. I would guess being a match chamber it may need to be reduced and this should be my next move. I just find it hard to understand that I'd be at upper pressure limits that far below printed max.
The bolt cycles fine empty chamber.
No I have not talked to my 'smith, (Sid Goodling) yet. He was really the only local guy that wanted to try rebarreling a BLR, other said no thanks so I came here trying to find out if any LRH 'smiths have come across this issue. My reason for the thread. More data/input. Thank you for yours!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan View Post
If you leave the spent round in the camber for a minute does it extract easier?

Sounds like you need a Badger bolt knob.
MagMan,

Allowing a cartridge casing to cool is NOT an option I would want to explore. The Browning Lever action Rifle is sometimes required to cycle quickly in the woods.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Well I guess I was way off base with that huh?

You said it cycles fine without a case but what happens if you dry fire it then cycle?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Have you measured the length from shoulder to base before and after firing? A little too much headspace and you can get a little growth and a little tight extraction. This would be very evident with a lever action since it has so little leverage compared to a bolt action.

As you've already mentioned, trying a bit lighter load would be a good next step.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives