Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Speed lock firing pin assemblies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Speed lock firing pin assemblies

What is the consencus on the Speed lock firing pin assemblies? Do you feel they are worth while? I puchased one from Brownell's and after was told that they would do more harm than good and don't work well with some aftermarket triggers.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

I have never used the speed lock but have swapped out the whole pin assembly/shroud with one of Greg Tannel's on every Rem rifle I have , they work great slightly lighter pin with a slightly heavier spring makes for better lock times the pins and stroing fit ALOT better then the factroy especialy the crap ISS units.
I have Winchester I building on nex , it may get the Speed lock kit.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Jmason

I like them because they are adjustable in striking force
and they do improve lock time.

As to doing harm , Even though they are faster the fireing
pin has less inertia because of its weight and I would think
it would do less harm than a factory pin.

I just buy the pin and spring and use the factory sear and
shroud ( The shroud doesent move with the pin and matches
the receiver and the sear works with the factory/aftermarket
trigger.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys,

That's a little releiving. here is the link to what I purchased and installed. The spring and pin IIRC are Tubbs', and the rest is made by superior shooting. Superior puts it together and sells it as a complete unit.

LINK

Last edited by jmason; 07-01-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

I went with just the Tubbs pin and spring. I'm inclined to agree with J E Custom. Will see if it offers any improvement.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
I have never used the speed lock but have swapped out the whole pin assembly/shroud with one of Greg Tannel's on every Rem rifle I have , they work great slightly lighter pin with a slightly heavier spring makes for better lock times the pins and stroing fit ALOT better then the factroy especialy the crap ISS units.
I have Winchester I building on nex , it may get the Speed lock kit.
It looks like the Speedlock Firing Pin Kit for the Win M70 requires a Speedlock Cocking Piece in addition to the pin and spring for M70s with the claw extractor. Does the cocking piece travel with the firing pin, and if so, will there be a similar improvement in lock time on this style Win M70 speedlock compared to the Rem 700? Any opinion on the relative value/improvment for this style M70 action? Anyone in the know?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

The firing pin and cocking piece on the M-70 do move together like the Rem 700 the pin on the M-70 is pretty heavy I'm sure that the lighter weight unit will increase the locktime alone and the addition of the lighter cocking piece should cut the lock time a bit more.
I have some 6AL-4V titanium here that I may just make a pin with and see what happens.
As for the benifit I'm sure that the reduced mass slamming home will cause less gun movement and the added speed should help with the round going off with the weapon moving less from the trigger pull
Is it worth the cost? thats hard to say. I can't see it making a 1moa gun into a 1/2 moa gun or stopping any stringing troubles or things like that but I'm a firm believer in giving yourself as best of a chance as possible by eliminationg or reducing as may variables as possible