Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Something is crooked...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Something is crooked...

Since you brought it up----yes those are throw away.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I agree 100%-----inletting is the problem. Very common on mass produced guns or from folks who do not know what they are doing.

I would agree with both of you except for in not 1 but (2) TWO H-S Precision stocks the barreled action showed much more propensity to point to the right than in the tupperware stock. This problem is definitly in the steel. I just don't know if it's correctable or not.

Thanks again guys. I read your posts all of the time and you're usually spot on.

CRoss
Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 PM
SPONSOR

In that case, there's no sense in speculating about the problem on a forum. Tear it down for the answer, that's the only way to know. Anything else is just a guess, and I , for one, don't likes "guesses". Facts speak "louder". Winchesters' quality, near the end of their existance, was very poor, could be any number of things wrong.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
In that case, there's no sense in speculating about the problem on a forum. Tear it down for the answer, that's the only way to know. Anything else is just a guess, and I , for one, don't likes "guesses". Facts speak "louder". Winchesters' quality, near the end of their existance, was very poor, could be any number of things wrong.

Thanks Shortgrass. Yes, I'm afraid that a serious diagnosis is going to be required but I'm not a machinist so I don't have a lathe to chuck it in. I'm guessing that would show the problem in short order, however, $$$ are required. I hate parting with $$$!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross View Post
I would agree with both of you except for in not 1 but (2) TWO H-S Precision stocks the barreled action showed much more propensity to point to the right than in the tupperware stock. This problem is definitly in the steel. I just don't know if it's correctable or not.

CRoss
suggest you have someone do the stress test check first and look at the bedding block.

My bet is the bedding block is slightly off center, which can be fixed much easier than truing etc

Besides even if you true everything up and then put it back in an off center bedding block, you have fixed nothing but spent alot of money.

It is highly unusual for a barrel/rcvr to be that off center. You would basically have to have the receiver tenon cut way off center and facing the receiver will not fix that.

BH
Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
suggest you have someone do the stress test check first and look at the bedding block.

My bet is the bedding block is slightly off center, which can be fixed much easier than truing etc

Besides even if you true everything up and then put it back in an off center bedding block, you have fixed nothing but spent alot of money.

It is highly unusual for a barrel/rcvr to be that off center. You would basically have to have the receiver tenon cut way off center and facing the receiver will not fix that.

BH
That's why there are gunsmiths! A good one will look at it all, not just the metal. How many times does someone carry only part or a rifle into my shop telling me what they think is wrong. We've all heard, "Lock, Stock, & Barrel". In modern terms, it's a system, and a good gunsmith knows this. If you've have had it in two H-S Stocks, it's probably not the stock, but, I'd check it anyway. Sorry, costs dollars to have a pro fix problems you can't. Costs dollars to have a mechanic fix your new SUV, a plumber to work on a drain you don't have the time or tools to do, or an electrician to fix a problem so you don't burn your house down. By the way, you want a gunsmith, not just a machinist as a machinist probably won't have an action wrench and a barrel vise. There is much more to being a gunsmith than being a machinist, but it helps if you are.

Last edited by shortgrass; 12-20-2010 at 08:50 PM.