Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Skim bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Skim bedding

So I found a few youtube videos of guys doing skim bedding to B&C stocks. First of all it looks like a giant pain in the butt. Have any of you done this? Is it as tedius and messy as it looks? Also how much would a gunsmith charge to do a service like this? LAst but not least, once the action is bedded into the compound can the stock be removed and put back on without messing anything up? I ask these question because I've never bedded any of my B&C stocks. I've just bolted the barreled action into them and gone shooting. I'm happy with my accuracy but anything to tighten groups is always beneficial.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Skim bedding

I don't bed the actual action on any aluminum bedded stocks, I do however bed the recoil lug. It's messy but really strait forward and simple.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

And no the bedding job will not the action to it as long as you use large amounts of release agent. After the epoxy sets removing the barreled action will not alter anything
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanm70 View Post
I don't bed the actual action on any aluminum bedded stocks, I do however bed the recoil lug. It's messy but really strait forward and simple.
Why just the recoil lug?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Because the point of the aluminum bedding is to fit the contour of the action perfectly. Almost no torque is put on the action as long as the stock maker didn't botch the alum bedding instalation
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

I bedded the action in mine. i didn't shoot groups before hand because I was still waiting on a barrel so i don't know if it helped at all. here is the video that convinced me to give it a go.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Bronze Member

Just got done bedding my hs precision stock this weekend. My action looked like the one in the video. It had rub marks on certain spots so I could tell the action was only touching a little bit and not on the whole action. It is on a savage 12LRP. It went pretty good just need to take your time and have everything ready to go. It was the first one I have done. I think I about got an ulcer over the 24hr wait till i broke it loose. I think that it turned out good weather is crappy out so haven't shot yet. I am not expecting alot in results because it was already on a good stock but at least now i know that the action and stock are solid. Pretty soon i will have it all narrowed down to the jerk behind the trigger I spent more time reading and watching videos than it took to do it. That is a good thing though. Unlike the video I cleaned up the bedding material before it dried. I liked that better. I will say that this stock was a good one to start on. I did not bed the tang area I let that float.