Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

silencer plans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: silencer plans

hey james
thanks heaps for the photos and designs. very helpfull. i have access to a lath and i can weld alright. now i just need some money to get some materials and then go for it. i was thinking of a k type baffel with ports in it. wish i had access to a mill to make a muzzel break or two.
cheers again
Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

Here are a couple of websites with information related to suppressors:
Reflex Suppressors UK website
Gunwriters and Guns Connects
Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

My first suppressor used K baffles and it worked well but through trial and error I have found that the K baffles are heavy and not as effecient as cones for high power rifles , most of the suppressors you see with K's are pistol suppressors. Quick Silver Manufacturing uses a modified K in their all titanium suppressors and they do work but they also use a very tight bore which make the suppressor more effecient.
the K- baffles I made came out great but they are very labor intensive to make correctly compaired to a cone

I'll try and see wher in this waste land of a computer I have stored some pattents of several differant suppressors , to give you a better idea of who is using what.
What type of rifle are you wanting to suppress and what are the wants and needs for your suppressor , I meen are you trying to keep is as compact and light as possible or is it going on a weapon that would be hauled very far
Old 03-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

hey James
those are the photos of the k barrels that i have seen before and was planning to model. but if you have experience making cone type ones and you think they are more effcent then im all ears. would love any tips on making them to so i have some success first time. im putting one on my .308 and another on my bros .223.both guns are carried around alot since i hunt tahr and anything else with my .308. so lots of hill climbing with it here in nz.light would be key. cheers
Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

What are your thoughts on makeing one out of pvc pipe for like a 22 or 17 hmr? safe or possable death?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Theirs alot of guys that have used PVC to make some rimfire suppressors , most of the centerfire pistol and rimfire cans are aluminum and pretty thin to boot so as long as you diden't get crazy trying to trim weight then PVC should work fine.

The trouble comes from guy trying to make a suppressor on their work bench with a hand drill and other hand tools and not being able to get the bore of the suppressor aligned with the muzzle threads thus causing bullet strikes in the suppressor and things go realy wrong from their
Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
Theirs alot of guys that have used PVC to make some rimfire suppressors , most of the centerfire pistol and rimfire cans are aluminum and pretty thin to boot so as long as you diden't get crazy trying to trim weight then PVC should work fine.

The trouble comes from guy trying to make a suppressor on their work bench with a hand drill and other hand tools and not being able to get the bore of the suppressor aligned with the muzzle threads thus causing bullet strikes in the suppressor and things go realy wrong from their
Yea I could see where that would be a problem! Thanks