Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

silencer plans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Silver Member

silencer plans

hey i was wondering if anyone had any plans for a silencer. im thinking of making one for the .308 and .223.and dont worry i live in new zealand and its perfectly legal to make and use then. cheers
Old 03-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: silencer plans

I currently have one in the paperwork shuffle. I am waiting on our lovely government for my tax stamp. It is a .223 suppressor that I am going to use on a 204 ruger. I know that it will dramatically reduce to sound, but I have no idea on the accuracy effect. I can not wait to see.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Gold Member

Silencer Talk has several forums dedicated to building form1 suppressors. There is about a weeks worth of reading to get started. It really boils down to what machine tools and welding experience you have or have available. I have a 308 and 338 in the works and I am building a fully welded 304 stainless design 1.75 OD and 12" long.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

You may also send a PM to James Jones here. He has some knowledge of these, and in my experience is a very helpful guy.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

hey lazylabs
i cant register on the silencer forum since i have a hotmail address. means i cant read the forum. gutted.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Gold Member

Get this book: Silencers, History and Development. You'll have to research the title on one of those websites that cater to those who look forward to Armageddon.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

For high velocity rounds a series of cones seems to be the best options going right now , the better comercial cans are useing some sort of cones , SRT uses stepped cones , AAC uses several varation of cones KAC is using a fluted cone.

Their are several ways that they can be made , rather than try to explain all of them tell us what kind of equiptment you have access to , Lathe , mill? , can you weld at all?

Its realy not brain surgery , a series of flat baffles will work well but the unit will have to be bigger to make up for the lack of effeciency of the flat baffle , their a suppressor called a Tac-16 that work well , its a 223 can but works well enough to make a 22-250 ear safe , its just some flat washers with small cones on the face to help "peel" some of the gas off

The AAC 762SD is a great suppressor , here is an X-ray of the pre 2008 unit as you can see their ain't alot to it. This suppressor worked very well and they have since just went to a slightly more effecient cone desgine

the new cone is said to look like this one and I think that new suppressor might have a couple more cones , this is also the same cone that the AAC Cyclone uses , its a great suppressor , very effective

here is an X-ray of an OPs Inc suppressor and an Surefire suppressor side by side , as seen their baffle system is pretty simple just aseries of bowl shapped cones and more of them , notice that they are ported to cause irregular gass flow

Here is a simple designe that a buddy used to make a suppressor for a 300 RUM , it worked very well , the can is apretty heavy and long but it is trying to suppress alot of gass , as you can see its simple a series of flat fender washers pressed into a cone shape and tac welded to a spacer then the whole stack was tacked together and pressed into an outer sleeve and the endcaps were welded solid to the outer tube