Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Sighting a new scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Sighting a new scope.

Some use a lazer to get on target others peek down the barrel to adjust to mounts
Please tell us your way so we can all learn.

thank you KC
Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sighting a new scope.

I kinda use the "peek" technique. First thing I do with a new scope is find out where it belongs front to rear. I have taken more deer and elk shooting from the sitting position off my knees than any other way so I go out and sit on the creek bank and fool with the scope and the adjustable cheek rest until it's as good as I can get it. I mark the scope so I don't lose that. I do that with the scope at the lowest power and mount the rifle a few times off hand to verify the setting. To me this is the most important part with the most variables. Get this right and everything else just works better.

Then in the shop I put the rifle in the vise and level the receiver. I loosen the scope rings just enough as to be able to rotate the scope. I have a plum line on a piece of plywood that hangs on the shop wall 30 feet away that lines with the vise. Along the plum line it has numbered marks off to the side. I peek through the barrel to see where it's at then go down and put a small piece of red tape that's easy to see. It takes two or three tries to get it right on but what the heck.'

I set the horizontal about an 1.5 above that mark. I verify that the scope is on the mark I made earlier as to front to rear and the vertical aligns perfectly with the plum line on the wall and directly over the bore. I then torque everything down and re check.This will get it on the papper at a 100 yards. Shoot off the bench and fine tune the settings.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein

Last edited by kcebcj; 07-20-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

After mounting the scope I set the eye relief and the vertical using a bench vise and tighten/
torque everything up.

Then I go to the range and setup a round black pistol target at 100 yards.

Next I use a led sled to hold the rifle and look through the bore to center it up on the
black dot. The eye naturally lines up circles and the black target shows up well looking
through the bore.

Next , without touching the rifle I look through the scope to see where it is and adjust it
until it looks good and centered. This will normally get me within 4 or 5 inches of the bulls
eye on the first firing.

Then adjust it to the POI that you want.

I personally dont like to stick anything in eather end of the barrel (Just Me being picky).

If you are not sure the first time place a 3 or 4 foot piece of cardboard behind the target
and you will find the bullet hole the first time.

Another trick is to strap the rifle down pointing at the center of the bulls eye and without moving the rifle adjust the scope crosshairs to the first bullet hole. This makes the scope line up on the POI.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Silver Member

Another peek through the bore fan here. I can get it close enough this way to hit a 8.5x11" paper target at 100 yards on first shot. Fine tune with shooting after that.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Thanks guys, I am a peeker also. I was thinking(oh no!) of buying a laser that is placed into a Barrel.
I need to order a new Barrel, there is no way I can spend one dollar of my MAD money.
I am under the radar, I can't bring any of this into the house my wife can smell money like a blue tick hound.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

I am a peek down the tube kinda guy also. I've tried some boresighters (not the laser ones) and found that the peeking method worked just as good.

I do it all at 25 or 50 yds initially. Dead on at 25-50 means I am gauranteed to hit the paper close to aim point at 100. I then sight in 2-4" high at 100 (depending on gun/scope/caliber) and move the target out to 300, final zeroing is done at 300.