Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Shilen action questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

Shilen action questions

Is anyone familiar with the older Shilen actions? I just bought a "new" used rifle, built on a Shilen action. The action says "Shilen" and "60" on it, not sure if this is model number or serial number. The action is attached to the stock with three screws. The action is completely cylindrical, and is a solid bottom (machined in bottom, no clip/floorplate etc.). The bolt is straight fluted, with two parallel lugs on either side of the bolt face.

It looks like it would be one of the original Shilen actions. The mounts that were on it were like the ones I have on a vintage pre-'64 Winchester .220 Swift, for a Lyman Super Target Spot or something.

What size, type of mounts should/could I use? Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bowhunthard; 08-13-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shilen action questions

Post a pic please, I might be able to help you out.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Gold Member

I'm on vacation right now, but I'll post some pics asap. Should be home Monday.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunthard View Post
Is anyone familiar with the older Shilen actions? I just bought a "new" used rifle, built on a Shilen action. The action says "Shilen" and "60" on it, not sure if this is model number or serial number. The action is attached to the stock with three screws. The action is completely cylindrical, and is a solid bottom (machined in bottom, no clip/floorplate etc.). The bolt is straight fluted, with two parallel lugs on either side of the bolt face.

It looks like it would be one of the original Shilen actions. The mounts that were on it were like the ones I have on a vintage pre-'64 Winchester .220 Swift, for a Lyman Super Target Spot or something.

What size, type of mounts should/could I use? Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Edited original post.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunthard View Post

Thanks in advance.
It's the first action Shilen ever made, serial number 60 to be exact.

The mounts it takes are two of the Remington 700 front bases, I bought the Weaver Grand Slam weaver-style bases, works fine.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have a few Shilen actions, and they have serviced me well over the years.

Here's some Shilen action trivia....

On the side of the action, you will see the engraving that reads Shilen DGA or DGA-M.

What does "DGA" stand for?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
I have a few Shilen actions, and they have serviced me well over the years.

Here's some Shilen action trivia....

On the side of the action, you will see the engraving that reads Shilen DGA or DGA-M.

What does "DGA" stand for?
My Guess would be " Damn Good Action"

Is That Right?

J E CUSTOM