Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Selecting a lathe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Selecting a lathe.

I found an Asian lathe (Sunmaster ERL-1340) that easily runs .0001" and I was happy to pay near $11,000 for it naked. Our chambers and threads come out looking like chrome.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
I found an Asian lathe (Sunmaster ERL-1340) that easily runs .0001" and I was happy to pay near $11,000 for it naked. Our chambers and threads come out looking like chrome.

are you sure about posting one tenth accuracey? A slant bed Hardingh CNC lathe (not the one I was refering to) is often regarded as the most accurate lathe on the planet, and they are good for about .0003" taking light cuts in steel. A Monarch Double E is known tobe the most accurate hand lathe ever produced when in good shape, and it's in that same range when optical scales that are aligned within a couple tenths. The only reason it's that good is due to the way over built spindle line that used class seven bearings. With the exception of the Hardingh bench lathe, I've never seen any bench lathe hold much less than .0008" in near perfect condition, and most are over one thousandth of an inch.
gary
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

While I don't have your experience or knowledge of machinery for sure, I know my Starrett .0001" indicators can be made to run dead smooth no movement on things we dial in or have cut. As one famous smith once told me, it's way better than what's needed for gunsmithing. We are not making diesel injectors here.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
While I don't have your experience or knowledge of machinery for sure, I know my Starrett .0001" indicators can be made to run dead smooth no movement on things we dial in or have cut. As one famous smith once told me, it's way better than what's needed for gunsmithing. We are not making diesel injectors here.
I wasn't so much knocking your setup (your business), but figured you got too many zeros. I once scraped in a Southbend, and seriously beefed up the bench work it was mounted on (similar setup to what you are using) by adding a ground 3/4" steel plate under the entire lathe. Had to make a new drive belt of course. Then made two more plates for the bench to go between the it and the floor. It would hold .0003 to .0006" all day long till it got some wear in the slides. Then it was a steady .00075" machine with high speed tooling. I could have gone in there and tweaked the bed a little bit and maybe picked up another two or three tenths, but it was plenty good enough for what it was being used for. The idea was to leave about five to seven thousandths of stock on the parts to save labor cost in the next operation. Prior to that they were leaving about twenty thousandths on Rex M2 and Speedstar.

The frame design on the Hardingh bench lathe is very stiff, and I honestly thing that's 70% of why they are so accurate. By the way the only machine I've ever seen with less lead error in a thread form was an Excello thread grinder! But if I were ordering a new lathe this afternoon, it'd be a Colechester
gary